Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help needed deciphering, please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kuros

Kuros Report 4 Jul 2020 15:07

I'm trying to decipher the name of a street on a census so I wonder if someone could please take a peek for me. Someone said it could be Library Row but I don't think this is likely because this is 1881 and I know there certainly wasn't a library there. I've tried looking at pages either side in case the enumerator changed and the writing was different but no such luck! The house number looks as if it's joined to the word but it's a number 1.

1881 Wales census
County: Monmouthshire
Civil parish: Bedwellty
Sub registration district: Tredegar
Enumeration district: 25
Page 22

Annie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jul 2020 15:26

Any peoples’ names?

How has the street name been transcribed?

Kuros

Kuros Report 4 Jul 2020 16:01

The head is Michael McKenzie. The transcription says Library Row but it seems so unlikely that I thought I'd seek a second opinion. It doesn't appear as such on any maps of the time and the village was extremely small and certainly no library anywhere near!

Annie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jul 2020 16:13

It would help if you C&P’d the transcription and said which site you are using

Kuros

Kuros Report 4 Jul 2020 16:19

It's Ancestry but I've no idea how to C&P.

Annie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jul 2020 16:20

OK...found it ...............Mckennie on FMP

certainly looks like Library to me - check the ‘L’ on surname Lewis

Transcribed on FMP as Library

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jul 2020 16:25

The transcribers will probably have had access to the ED description, which would help them with deciphering the records

there didn’t need to be a library anywhere near for the name to be used.

Kuros

Kuros Report 4 Jul 2020 16:32

Thanks, Erika, I'll take it as Library.

Annie

mgnv

mgnv Report 6 Jul 2020 16:13

Erika mentions the ED description.
I can't check this as I don't have an Ancestry sub, but I think you can page back on the images from page 22 through to page 1, and then continue paging back to see the intro pages which include the enumerator's description of his district

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Jul 2020 16:24

Incidentally, the suname is Mckennie on the image

And it's Library Row on the ED.

Couldn't look at Ancestry before