Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Parish 1721 Harlow, Essex

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rose

Rose Report 4 Jul 2020 19:25

A few member trees on Ancestry have him married to Ann Arnoll who was also
born in Harlow.

I cannot find Ann Arnoll myself but looking at other member trees surely there is an error as I do not see that she could have been married in 1735 if she was only born 1728??

Thank you
Rose

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Jul 2020 21:07

Having looked at several of those trees at random, it's the usual story.

One person has leapt to the wrong conclusion about John's wife, and then other people have just blindly copied that wrong info.

"Information" on people's trees is frequently wrong.

There are other unlikely claims in those trees.
For instance, the trees claim that John and Ann both died in Harlow, so presumably lived their whole lives in that area - but also say they had two sons born in Devon!
[EDIT: No, sorry - my mistake. One born in Harlow, the other in Devon.]

The tree owners have jumped on the parents' names, John and Anne Parish, and assumed they are that particular couple.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jul 2020 21:43

It might be good idea to keep all your Parish Requests on one thread

Ignore trees on Ancestry, unless they show documentary proof of their claims

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Jul 2020 21:53

Even then, don't necessarily assume that the people on any records offered as "proof" are the ones you're looking for..

The marriage of John Parris and Ann Arnoll did indeed take place in 1735, and there's documentation to prove it - but that doesn't prove they were the couple you're looking for.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Jul 2020 15:26

He would have been only 13/14 himself in 1735, which, although it would have been legal, is, in reality, unlikely.

Anyway, you should be working backwards if you want to have any degree of accuracy in your tree

The tree on Ancestry was obviously compiled by someone who hasn't checked anything

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Jul 2020 15:29

Name: Anne Arnoll
Marriage Place: Leyton, St Mary The Virgin, Essex, England
Marriage Date: 22 Jun 1735
Spouse: John Parris
Source Description: Register of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials; Service of Church: Registers of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials; Incumbent; Leyton, St Mary the Virgin (Digital Images Only); Parish Records;1575-1783

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Jul 2020 19:48

When was the first child born?

Such early marriages did take place, but usually among the landed gentry, not ag labs etc. It was a means of securing agreements between wealthy families, joinng properties together, etc.

But it would not be consummated until the girl reached puberty.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 Jul 2020 21:36

You may be onto something there, Sylvia.

The trees vary in what they claim.
Looking at a few at random -

One tree says the first child was John, born in Harlow on 13 Aug1745.
The second one (also called John) is said to have been born on 4 Dec 1749 in East Teignmouth, Devon.

(I was mistaken in saying they were both born in Devon.)

Some list one son John, born in Harlow 1747.
Others list the 1745 son only. (John)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Jul 2020 03:26

AG ...............

that is interesting!

Obviously some deeper, more careful research needed.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Jul 2020 10:31

I don't see those baptisms on Ancestry or FS.
As far as I can see, none of the trees provide documentary evidence of either - though I haven't checked them all, as there as so many.

It would be almost impossible to confirm that any child baptised so long ago was a child of any particular couple, as only the names are given, and very little or no other identifying info.

There are other records of children born to couples called John and Ann(e) Paris/Parris/Parrish/Parish in various places - but no way to identify them accurately.

In spite of saying that John 1721 was born in Harlow, one tree (and probably others) gives this as his baptism - a good 10-15 miles from Harlow:

John Parish
in the England & Wales, Christening Index, 1530-1980
Name: John Parish
Christening Age: 0
Birth Date: 21 Jul 1721
Christening Date: 23 Jul 1721
Christening Place: Westminster, London, England
Father: John Parish
Mother: Elizabeth Parish

Rose, how did you work back to John 1721?

Rose

Rose Report 6 Jul 2020 18:33

ErikaH I have worked back for my records.

A lot of the early Parish records was given by a Parish family member from GR as I wasnt with Ancestry then. I had the details written down but I needed to confirm everything.

I became a grandmother and was looking after my granddaughter so her mummy could return to her full time work. At the end of the day I didnt feel up to doing my tree and it has taken me a long time to get into it again.

I wasnt allowed out for 12 weeks but after painting my new fence, putting up trellis and lights I was bored so decided to work on my tree, its been almost 10 years since I worked on it.

I only have one child for John Parish and Ann Arnoll 1747 John. I get the bit now where you told me some get married very young and wait till later to have a child.
This could have happened with this couple.

ArgyllGran You have posted the details of John Parish but his mother states Elizabeth not Ann I think its a safe bet that I dont put this family on my tree!!

Thank you so much for all your help and advice

Rose

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Jul 2020 19:14

Re John 1721 with mother Elizabeth -
Yes, that's just another example of why it's not good to assume info on trees is correct!