Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Canada immigration records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kuros

Kuros Report 19 Jul 2020 13:21

I can find these up to a certain date but none for the time I'm looking. I suspect they are not for general inspection on the internet. I'm looking for emigration from the UK to Canada in the 1970s. Can anyone please confirm whether they are or are not available?

Annie

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Jul 2020 13:39

No, they're not available online after 1935.

On the Canadian government website:
https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca

Link to the relevant page:
https://tinyurl.com/y2fotu48

"After 1935

Library and Archives Canada does not hold copies of post-1935 records. Records of immigrants arriving at Canadian land and seaports from January 1, 1936 onwards remain in the custody of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. To request a copy of another person's immigration record, you must mail a signed request to the under-noted office:

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
Access to Information and Privacy Division
Ottawa, ON K1A 1L1

The request should include the full name at time of entry into Canada, date of birth and year of entry. Additional information is helpful, such as country of birth, port of entry and names of accompanying family members.
The application for copies of records should indicate that it is being requested under Access to Information. It must be submitted by a Canadian citizen or an individual residing in Canada. For non-citizens, you can hire a free-lance researcher to make the request on your behalf. The request must be accompanied by a signed consent from the person concerned or proof that he or she has been deceased for 20 years. Please note that IRCC requires proof of death regardless of the person’s year of birth.
Fee: $5.00 (by cheque or money order made payable to the Receiver General for Canada) "

Kuros

Kuros Report 19 Jul 2020 13:41

Thanks for that. Unfortunately they are asking for a lot of information I can't supply. I'm not even sure of the exact year.

Annie

mgnv

mgnv Report 23 Jul 2020 12:29

There is:
UK and Ireland, Outward Passenger Lists, 1890-1960
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/2997/

However, this doesn't cover the 1970s.

People also immigrated via the USA - although Halifax is ice-free, Montreal and Quebec City only open up in late April, so Boston/New York are feasible ports if you're headed for Montreal, Totonto, or further west.
However, by the 19700s, people are travelling by air - Ellis Island closed in 1984, and by 1969, both the Queen Mary & Queen Elizabeth had been sold (although the smaller and more economical QE2 had entered service).
By air, the shortest route to Canada (the great circle route) does not touch US air-space.