Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death Cert Details

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 25 Jul 2020 00:00

Hope someone can help please. . I have a John Hayes birth abt 1860 died 17 Mar 1910 at Micklefield, Yorkshire. Died in pit and when I have searched it has come up with the UK Coal Mining Accidents & Deaths index 1878-1935, but has no references. Got this info from another site. I want to find the death cert details so I can order the cert. Searched all the BMD but can't find it. Thank You Sue

safc

safc Report 25 Jul 2020 00:16

Deaths Mar 1910 (>99%)
HAYES John 58 Tadcaster 9c 523

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

safc

safc Report 25 Jul 2020 00:56

Record Transcription:
England, Mining Disaster Victims

First name(s) John
Last name Hayes
Full name John Hayes
Birth year 1860
Age 50
Year 1910
Event date 17 Mar 1910
Cause of incident Crushed by tubs
Colliery Peckfield
County Yorkshire
Country England
Source
View the source record
Record set England, Mining Disaster Victims
Category Education & work
Subcategory Occupations
Collections from Great Britain, UK Other

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Jul 2020 10:25

Are you taking your info about his birth year solely from the accident report?

Have you done anything about finding him in censuses to verify birth year?

Do you know who he married? Or anything else which would be useful in looking for him?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Jul 2020 11:04

1901????

6, East View, Micklefield, Tadcaster, Yorkshire & Yorkshire (West Riding), England

John Hayes Head Married Male 34 1867 Coal Miner Hewer South Normanton, Derbyshire, England
Emma Hayes Wife Married Female 27 1874 - Witham, Lincolnshire, England
Amelia Hayes Daughter - Female 9 1892 - Micklefield, Yorkshire, England
John G Hayes Son - Male 2 1899 - Micklefield, Yorkshire, England
Joseph Sansom Boarder Single Male 35 1866 Coal Miner Hewer Derbyshire, England
Thomas Hunt Boarder Single Male 26 1875 Coal Miner Hewer Derbyshire, England

The same man in 1891

East View, Micklefield, Tadcaster, Yorkshire & Yorkshire (West Riding), England

Herbert Crosthwaite Head Married Male 27 1864 Coal Miner Swillington, Yorkshire, England
Eliza Crosthwaite Wife Married Female 23 1868 - South Normanton, Derbyshire, England
Lucy Crosthwaite Daughter - Female 3 1888 - Micklefield, Yorkshire, England
Alice Crosthwaite Daughter - Female 1 1890 - Micklefield, Yorkshire, England
George Crosthwaite Son - Male 0 1891 - Micklefield, Yorkshire, England
John Hayes Boarder Married Male 24 1867 Coal Miner South Normanton, Derbyshire, England
Emma Hayes Sister In Law Married Female 20 1871 - Witham, Lincolnshire, England

EDITED

NOT the above - still alive in 1911

Maddie

Maddie Report 25 Jul 2020 11:27

John Hayes

in the Web: UK, Coal Mining Accidents and Deaths Index, 1878-1935
Web: UK, Coal Mining Accidents and Deaths Index, 1878-1935 No Image
Text-only collection

Report a problem

Name: John Hayes
Death Age: 50
Event Type: Death
Birth Year: abt 1860
Death Date: 17 Mar 1910
Death Place: Yorkshire, England
Colliery: Peckfield
Owner: Micklefield Coal and Lime Co Ltd
Notes: He was travelling out at the end of his shift and was caught by a set of tubs which knocked him down and fatally injured him He had gone past a notice forbidding men to travel on the road whilst the rope was in motion.

the tadcaster death

JOHN
Last name HAYES
Gender Male
Birth day -
Birth month -
Birth year 1852
Age 58
Death quarter 1
Death year 1910
District Tadcaster
County Yorkshire
Volume 9C
Page 523
Country England

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Jul 2020 12:36

That will be confirmation of the death posted by safc

Susan

Susan Report 25 Jul 2020 17:47

Thanks everyone. So am I thinking the John Hayes shown on the Coal Mining accidents age 50 born about 1860 is the John Hayes Volume 9c page 523.age 58. This was one of the problems I was having .I have found all the Hayes in the village of Micklefield who descend from my Gt,Grandfather then I found this John. He must not be related to my crew.
Thank you for your help
Sue

greyghost

greyghost Report 25 Jul 2020 19:07

safc gave you a link to his death registration earlier in this thread - it's a site you need to get used to using + FREE

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Surname First name(s) Age District Vol Page
Deaths Mar 1910 (>99%)
HAYES John 58 Tadcaster 9c 523

If you look the record up yourself and then click on Tadcaster - (the Registration District) - and then click on "Here" on the page that opens, you will get to a page that shows a list of places in that District. you will see that Tadcaster RD covers Micklefield amongst others.

The country is divided into Registration Districts for the purpose of registering births, marriages and deaths,. The area they cover might have changed over time, but this is also explained. Don't expect every village and hamlet to be named, but use with a map of the general area and that will help

Susan

Susan Report 26 Jul 2020 01:10

greyghost

yes I understand what your saying but as I came across this Accident record by chance I though those dates would be correct. Didn't think they would be 8 years difference as I presumed this would be an official record.
Sue

safc

safc Report 26 Jul 2020 01:54

hi susan

may be the 8 could be a 0 ?

or they did not know his real age ?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Jul 2020 10:49

I have looked at the image of the death registration record on FMP and the age is definitely typed as 58

It may be that the transcription of the accident record is inaccurate

Have you accounted for ALL of the men of that name in your family?

Are they ALL on the 1911 census?

Susan

Susan Report 27 Jul 2020 01:23

Yes got them all so as I said this chap must have lived in another village, come to work in Micklefield. That's why I was going to send for the death Cert but it wont tell me anything I don't already know.
Thanks again for help

Sue

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 27 Jul 2020 02:03

A death certificate should show the man's home address, but if you have researched all 'your' John Hayes, it may be that the accident report is about another family.

I am researching an unusual surname in a small coastal town and have 2 groups of people and can find no link between them.Logic tells me there is a probable link, but many years searching and hours spent in the Record Office hasn't found one.