Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help to find information on marriages on FMP

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kayak

Kayak Report 2 Aug 2020 11:58

Hi,

I am trying to find a marriage between a John Kimber and a Sarah ? that might mention the groom being from Newbury Berkshire. John was born c1783 and Sarah was born c1787. I have them in the 1815 census with children James aged 4 and Jane aged 1 so think that the marriage would have been between 1803-1812.

There are a few marriages on FMP in this time frame so am wondering if SKS could check these out to see if any mention John being from Newbury.

TIA
Tiggit

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Aug 2020 12:10

None of the marriages have images with them and the transcriptions don't give any indication of where they are from.

You say you have them in the 1815 census?? Do you mean the 1851 census?

Kath. x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Aug 2020 12:14

With children aged 4 and 1 it isn’t likely to be 1851, in view of their estimated birth years - unless the children aren’t from the marriage in question

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Aug 2020 12:15

Could this be your man in the 1851 census:-

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Bartholomew Street, Newbury St Nicholas, Newbury, Berkshire, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place

Charles Kimber Son Unmarried Male 26 1825 Partner In Tallow Chandlers Newbury, Berkshire, England
Sarah Kimber Wife Married Female 58 1793 - Southington, Hampshire, England
Sarah Kimber Daughter Unmarried Female 24 1827 - Newbury, Berkshire, England
Martha Kimber Daughter Unmarried Female 19 1832 - Newbury, Berkshire, England
Mary Soper Servant Unmarried Female 28 1823 General Servant East Woodhay, Hampshire, England
John Kimber Head Married Male 59 1792 Tallow Chandler Employing 4 Men And 4 Boys Newbury, Berkshire, England <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Aug 2020 12:16

There is this baptism for a John Kimber with a mother called Martha:-

First name(s) John
Last name Kimber
Gender Male
Birth year 1791
Birth place -
Baptism year 1791
Baptism date 20 Jul 1791
Place Newbury
County Berkshire
Country England
Father's first name(s) Benjamin
Father's last name Kimber
Mother's first name(s) Martha
Mother's last name -
Record set England Births & Baptisms 1538-1975

Perhaps he named his daughter after his mother, although this seems like a different family to the one you found.

Kath. x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Aug 2020 12:30

as far as I can see, the only marriage for John Kimber to a Sarah in Berkshire was in 1833, in Thatcham

As I’m sure you are aware, until1837 information on marriage records was very limited. They might say ‘of this parish’, but that simply means that was where the person was living at the time.

Kayak

Kayak Report 2 Aug 2020 12:32

Ok thanks!

I did mean 1815 not 1851 I have found them in the census of Newbury 1815.

I have John in later census records up until his death but am trying to work back from 1815.

Thanks again for taking the time to look