Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FMP Newspapers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gigi

Gigi Report 5 Aug 2020 18:22

Hi All,

Does anyone have access to the newspaper section of FMP? My subscription no longer covers newspapers now.

I can see articles related to the murder of the young child Joseph Geoffrey Hunt of Gentleshaw, Staffordshire. I know the poor child was murdered by his mother Dorothy Mabel Adderley (nee) Hunt. I am trying to find out more background info. The child was illegitimate so was wondering if the name of his father was given.

Thanks in advance

Gigi

malyon

malyon Report 5 Aug 2020 18:53

what year

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Aug 2020 18:54

I don’t pay the extra, but anyone who does would probably appreciate some date info

EDITED

Death registered JAS 1941

Mother married in 1938. Husband’s first name JOSEPH

Gigi

Gigi Report 5 Aug 2020 19:25

Hi,

The date is 1941. If you just enter the child's name, there are some hits from Staffordshire and Warwickshire newspapers.

Joseph Adderley was not the child's father. Dorothy Hunt married after her son was born.

malyon

malyon Report 5 Aug 2020 19:46

did dorothy go to prision did she marry again

Gigi

Gigi Report 5 Aug 2020 19:50

Hi
Yes Dorothy was found guilty and went to prison. HMP Bronzefield.
As far as I'm aware she only married the once to Joseph Adderley.
I have found a probate record for Dorothy in Redcar 1994 but not certain that that is her.

malyon

malyon Report 5 Aug 2020 20:08

was dorothy born in 1921

Gigi

Gigi Report 5 Aug 2020 20:22

I have her born in 1922 Gentleshaw Staffordshire. Parents William leslie Hunt and Annie Bradbury. I have found the birth on freebmd.

malyon

malyon Report 5 Aug 2020 21:38

the dorothy born 1921 died 1n 1994 in yorkshire

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Aug 2020 21:51

That isn't in any way relevant to the poster's request - which was for a newspaper article from 1941.

greyghost

greyghost Report 5 Aug 2020 22:28

Several articles along the same lines - can't see any mention of the actual Father though

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 6 Aug 2020 07:23

I have read the articles but sorry I don't know how to download them and send them to you. My reading of the earliest one is that her husband was actually the father. He had gone away not knowing she was pregnant but married her when he returned. In a later report, he makes out that he knew she had an illegitimate child but was prepared to take the child on. Given that she had named the child Joseph, it would seem likely that he was the father but that's only my opinion. Although she was found guilty, a doctor gave evidence stating that she had mental health issues at the time. Such a sad case. She was just turned 16 when she had the baby.

Gigi

Gigi Report 6 Aug 2020 08:52

Hi All
Thanks very much for looking. Indeed a very sad case. No one in my immediate family knew about this until I found the newspaper articles online! Dorothy had an older brother who left the UK to live and marry in USA. I imagine he would wont to get away from all that had happened!

Thanks again

Gigi

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 7 Aug 2020 14:37

Hi,

I've messaged you with snips of a couple of the articles, see 'get attachments' at the bottom of the message.

The print is very small so I could get the text in the snip - sorry, was the best I could do.

Kucinta

Gigi

Gigi Report 7 Aug 2020 14:44

Hi Kucinta

Thanks very much indeed! I can zoom the files so can read them perfectly.

Thanks again

Gigi