Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Campbell Lester Lynn 1900 to 1977

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deborah

Deborah Report 14 Aug 2020 13:06

I have found an entry relating to WW1 service medal and Award Rolls, 1914 to 1920.
John Campbell Lynn.
1914 to 1920
Driver
Company WO 329
Royal Army Service Corps
T/260552
Medal awarded-British War Medal and Victory Medal

Am trying to find out whether or not this is my Grandfather, I have tried looking through the National Archives, but it is so vast I am having trouble finding my way round the site, have also searched on FMP and Ancestry, the information is fairly limited, there is nothing that I can find to prove its him, like an address or DOB.

I know for a fact my Grandfather lied about his age to get into the army, am not sure what years he served, I have a photo of him wearing a WW1 Army uniform, it is a standard kit for British soldiers in cavalry units. I have established that in the cavalry they had bandoliers made of leather (which he is wearing) rather than infantry who had webbing.

The photo is very faded so I am unable to see the cap badge, which would tell which unit he served in.

Is there any way to expand on the information I have from the medal card please, I only want to know if it is him or not.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Aug 2020 13:14

70% of WW1 records were destroyed, so the medal card you have found is likely to be all that’s available

The medal card does not contain any details which would identify the individual other than the unit(s) with which he served

I rather think you have posted before about this man.............

Deborah

Deborah Report 14 Aug 2020 13:18

I have, I don't need any information about "this man" my Grandfather, I am asking if there is any way to get more information about the medal card. I don't need any information about my Grandfather.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Aug 2020 13:37

There is only what is on the card

You can purchase a copy

it’s good that you have said you don’t want any info, as there are those who would have been looking for it if it hadn’t been brought to their notice that you have posted before.

Deborah

Deborah Report 14 Aug 2020 16:57

Thank you Erika, sorry I had to go out. Will be careful how I word it in future. Thank you.