Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

French newspapers for 1957?? THREAD CLOSED.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 6 Sep 2020 22:16

My Great Uncle died in 1957 in the UK but lived and worked until shortly before his death in France. He performed some important rescue works and the French press commemorated this.

Does anyone know how I might go about searching for this, please? If successful, my French is good so translation won't be a hindrance!

:-)

greyghost

greyghost Report 6 Sep 2020 22:24

I googled "Historic French newspapers online". There seem to be a number of results, so you can have a look through and decide which might best suit your needs.

eg. https://www.loc.gov/newspapers/?all=true&c=50&dates=1900-1999&fa=access-restricted:false%7Csubject:paris&st=list

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 6 Sep 2020 22:28

Thank you. Very quick and very interesting. I am searching for a paper which would have been local'ish to the town of Le Havre, please.

greyghost

greyghost Report 6 Sep 2020 22:31

Why not have a go at googling yourself .......... I expect that's what anyone would have to do.

It could have been reported further afield.

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 6 Sep 2020 22:54

I had tried to find a national newspaper archive for France and go from there but not seeing what I want. It may have been a small local newspaper back then that has now been swallowed up by a bigger one.

I'll get some fresh eyes on this and hope I can have more success. :-(

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Sep 2020 17:13

Do you know what rescue work he was involved in

Maybe googling for the specific event will bring something up

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Sep 2020 11:45

Have you tried contacting the Town Hall. ? That is probably where the local archives are kept.

Www.archives.lehavre.fr

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 22 Sep 2020 16:25

What a great idea - thank you nameslessone!

Will do.

And, yes, we do know the many rescue works he was involved in [including the Mulberry Harbours, etc.] but it would be good to see the write up nevertheless. Thank you to shirley~I,m getting the hang of it.

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 21 Mar 2024 14:54

I have closed the post.

Thank you to everyone.