Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how do i get a South Africsn death certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 25 Sep 2020 04:20

I would like to get a death certificate for my grandmother Margaret Gibb who died in 1925 nobody know what her cause of death was just that she died in hospital

I would appreciate any help

Elizabeth Rainbird

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 25 Sep 2020 09:14

Have you tried the free Familysearch website they have a lot of online images for South Africa.

Failing that why not Google your question which should then come up with the answer.

:-)

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 25 Sep 2020 09:30

The only Margaret Gibb I can find on Familysearch died on 4 Feb 1926 in Johannesburg aged 44, her maiden name was McColl. If this is your Margaret, there is an image.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 26 Sep 2020 04:33

Thank you all for your replies I have tried google and LondonBelle this is my grandmother I will try family search thank you

Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 26 Sep 2020 05:00

Dear LondonBelle
I have just searched familysearch and didnt find it. The strange thing is I am one of the people who put the records on familysearch

I would be grateful if you can tell me how you found her.

Elizabeth

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 26 Sep 2020 05:03

If you have a problem, Elizabeth let me know. The death certificate does give what she died of.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 26 Sep 2020 05:04

Let me get into Familysearch Elizabeth, I'll be back in a few minutes

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 26 Sep 2020 05:21

I've just tried it again, it's best just to put

Margaret McColl in the first name field
Gibb in the surname field
South Africa in the Country Field

Don't put any dates in.....and it should come up then....let me know

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 26 Sep 2020 05:29

By doing the above, you will also be able to find her husband, Robert's Death Notice in 1944

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 26 Sep 2020 06:17

Dear LondonBelle

am so grateful for your help I found it .I already had my grandfathers nobody has ever known what she died of.
i have put over 20,000 records on familysearch to get the images.

Thank you again

ELizabeth

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 26 Sep 2020 06:46

You're more than welcome, Elizabeth....pleased you've found it.