Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Brewer snr and John Ward Brewer

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marian

Marian Report 31 Jan 2021 16:27

Hello, I have two requests. The first concerns John Brewer. He marries Mary Margaret Ward on 22 November 1852 at Gainford, Co Durham. John is a widower. Mary Margaret a spinster born 1815 at Gainford. I don't need any information for Mary Margaret. I am trying to find a death/burial/Will for John snr. John and Mary obtained a licence and both ages state 21 years upwards. Mary would have been 37 but no idea what age John was. It states John Brewer of the parish of Seaton Carew (Co Durham) other than that I don't know anything about John. I can't find them on 1861 census and Mary is a widow by 1871 census at Richmond Yorkshire. I am going to send for the Will for Mary (died 1887) but if I can find out if John had a Will I will be able to send for that also.

John Ward Brewer was baptised on 19 November 1856 at Holy Trinity, Darlington. Parents John and Mary Margaret. He dies 1882 aged 25 at Sunderland. In 1881 he is a marine architect. On findmypast there is an entry for the national burial index at Gainford for John Ward Brewer and an entry for Northumberland and Durham memorial inscriptions. Could someone please take a look at these entries. Thank you.

Maddie

Maddie Report 31 Jan 2021 16:42

sorry no image
Northumberland And Durham Memorial Inscriptions
John Ward
Last name Brewer
Age 25
Birth year 1857
Death year 1882
Memorial location Gainford, St Mary
County Durham
Country England
Description St Mary
Record set Northumberland And Durham Memorial Inscriptions
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Parish Burials
Collections from England, Great Britain

John Ward
Last name Brewer
Birth year 1857
Death year 1882
Burial year 1882
Burial date 17 Mar 1882
Church St Mary
Denomination Anglican
Place Gainford
County Durham
Country England
Record set National Burial Index For England & Wales

Marian

Marian Report 31 Jan 2021 16:50

Thank you Maddie.

Maddie

Maddie Report 31 Jan 2021 16:56

Name: John Brewer
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1809
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary M Brewer
Where born: Rainham, Kent, England
Civil Parish or Township: Llanbeblig
Town: Caernarvon
County/Island: Caernarvonshire
Street Address: View image
Condition as to marriage: View image
Education: View image
Employment status: View image
Registration District: Carnarvon
Sub-registration District: Carnarvon
ED, institution, or vessel: 5
Household Schedule Number: 27
Neighbors:
Piece: 4342
Folio: 82
Page Number: 5
Household Members:
Name Age
John Brewer 52
Mary M Brewer 45
George W Brewer 5
John W Brewer 4
Jane Jones 39
Jane Roberts 20

Name: John Brewer
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1809
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary M Brewer
Where born: Rainham, Kent, England

Marian

Marian Report 31 Jan 2021 17:12

Thanks again Maddie. When I was searching 1861 census I put England which is why they didn't come up.

alviegal

alviegal Report 1 Feb 2021 13:44

At St. George's Square, Sunderland, 11th inst., John Ward Brewer, aged 25 years.

17 March 1882 - Durham County Advertiser - Durham, Durham, England

Marian

Marian Report 1 Feb 2021 20:32

Thanks Alvie, still don't know when his father died.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Feb 2021 10:46

If he died in England/Wales, the death should be on freebmd.

Don't take it for granted that he actually died before 1871 - be open-minded

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 Feb 2021 12:12

Unfortunately, there are deaths of numerous men named John Brewer, of about the right age - assuming the YOB given in 1861 is roughly correct..

The family seem to have moved around quite a bit - Doncaster at the time of the boys' births, Wales in 1861, Yorkshire (at least for Mary and boys) in 1871 - so his death could have happened anywhere.

alviegal

alviegal Report 2 Feb 2021 12:41

Just reposting the 1861 with occupations. You would have thought being a proprietor of a quarry would warrant a death notice in the papers.

1861 England, Wales & Scotland Census

Bryn Helen, Pwllheli Road, Llanbeblig, Carnarvon, Caernarvonshire, Wales

John Brewer Head Married Male 52 1809 Slate Quarry Proprietor Rainham, Kent, England
Mary M Brewer Wife Married Female 45 1816 - Gainford, Durham, England
George W Brewer Son - Male 5 1856 - Darlington, Durham, England
John W Brewer Son - Male 4 1857 - Darlington, Durham, England
Jane Jones Servant Unmarried Female 39 1822 Cook Carnarvon, Caernarvonshire, Wales
Jane Roberts Servant Unmarried Female 20 1841 Nurse Carnarvon, Caernarvonshire, Wales

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Feb 2021 12:50

That 1861 census is the only one on which he appears, as far as I can see. Nothing connected with Kent.

Did he name a father when he married Mary? And what was his occupation?

Marian

Marian Report 2 Feb 2021 19:15

Hello, thank you for the above. I haven't seen the actual marriage entry in St Mary's Church, Gainford. The marriage details came off Durham Bonds and Allegations it says John Brewer of the parish of Seaton Carew (County Durham). The Newcastle Journal for 1852 is as follows: At Gainford on the 23rd inst Mr John Brewer of Seaton Carew to Mary Margaret youngest daughter of the late Robert Ward Esq of Gainford. A John Brewer of Seaton Carew held 70 shares in the West Hartlepool Shipping Company and was also a director. This is off a google search. I sent for Mary's Will but it won't be available until 15 February but I don't think it will tell me anything about John.