Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Michael Sullivan/Bridget Flanagan 1880s Australia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BurgessRae

BurgessRae Report 22 Mar 2021 09:32

Hi - I'm trying to track down the two children of this couple Michael Sullivan and Bridget Mary Teresa Flanagan (sometimes called Mary, sometimes Teresa)
Here's what I know for sure so far.
They were married in Brisbane in 1882. Bridget (born in London) was a teacher, aged 32 and Michael (born in Limerick, Ireland) was an accountant aged 35. Neither of them had been married before. Bridget re-married Isaac Burgess in 1900 after being widowed.

Bridget Mary Teresa was a teacher at the Blackall Provisional School in Queensland. Some records call her Mrs Sullivan or Mrs O'Sullivan. She apparently had two children.

I would be very grateful for any ideas with tracking down these two Sullivan children.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Mar 2021 09:49

Where did you find the records of the marriages?
What evidence do you have that the first marriage produced children?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Mar 2021 09:56

The marriage shows she married as Theresa

Name: Michael Sullivan
Spouse Name: The?? Bridget Flanagan
Marriage Date: 12 Apr 1882
Marriage Place: Queensland
Registration Place: Queensland
Registration Year: 1882
Registration Number: B007705
Page Number: 14392

BurgessRae

BurgessRae Report 22 Mar 2021 09:58

Hi - I have a certified copy of the marriage certificate and I have looked in various Queensland Government Gazette's to follow her appearing in various schools, including Mt Tambourine school in 1882 which is where she was living when she married.

A booklet about the Blackall School says that a widowed Mrs O'Sullivan was a teacher there and lived there with her two children. Unfortunately there is no source.

Unfortunately, her death certificate is incomplete. She died at the same time as her second husband in a fire and her second husband's son from a previous relationship filled out the death certificate. It just says "unknown" for name of previous husband and "unknown" for names of any children.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Mar 2021 10:02

Mary Theresa Burgess
in the Australia and New Zealand, Find a Grave Index, 1800s-Current
Name: Mary Theresa Burgess
Death Date: 1 Jan 1905
Cemetery: Caboolture Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place: Caboolture, Moreton Bay Region, Queensland, Australia
Has Bio?: N
URL:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/123915718/mary-theresa-burgess

Same grave is Isaac Hudson Burgess died 1905 and his first wife Hannah Burgess died 1878

We cross posted !

BurgessRae

BurgessRae Report 22 Mar 2021 10:07

Thanks - that's definitely the right person. Just trying to track down if we can find if they had any children.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Mar 2021 10:14

Not picking them up I,m afraid

BurgessRae

BurgessRae Report 22 Mar 2021 10:21

Thanks for trying. This one has me stumped - we have a family reunion coming up and it would be lovely to track down this line.
Maybe someone will do the DNA in the future and we'll find them.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Mar 2021 10:22

Nor me.
Ancestry shows lots of births of Sullivan/O'Sullivan children in Queensland 1882-1900, with fathers named Michael - but none with mothers with mn Flanagan or variation of spelling.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Mar 2021 11:10

Suggest you add Australia to your title - to catch the eye of anyone with resources for that country

BurgessRae

BurgessRae Report 22 Mar 2021 11:20

Good idea