Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Record Search please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Solar

Solar Report 7 Nov 2021 17:32

Hi,

Is anyone free to view a search/record on Ancestry for me please? Its a record titled
England and Wales Criminal Register - 1791-1892
William Henry Shaw - Date of trial 5th June 1890
Lancashire, England.
Sentence - Acquittal.

I believe this may be for my great grandfather. William Henry Shaw born 1866-1871 Salford, Manchester. His father was a John Edward Shaw. I would really love to be able to view this or see the details of it.

Many thanks Sarah

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Nov 2021 18:00

He was 18 years old, a Factory operative

No other info

Solar

Solar Report 7 Nov 2021 18:03

Thank you. Someone just kindly sent me a screenshot of the record/crime with full details. Thanks all

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 7 Nov 2021 18:05

Tried to send you a screen shot, not very good as on my tablet. Part of a group of men accused of unlawfully wounding a Peter Moffatt and disturbing the peace. Some were discharged, others not.

Edit Glad the screen shot got through! :-)

Solar

Solar Report 7 Nov 2021 18:09

Thank you so much. Going to view on my laptop to get it larger. Thanks again :-)

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 7 Nov 2021 18:42

Just sent you a screen shot of news report from Manchester Times 7th June 1890 re the event, and 'scuttling gangs'. Looks like it was street gangs. News report confirms he was 18 yr old factory operative, as ErikaH said earlier. You might find it easier to read the sentences some of the co accused got. They seem to name two different groups involved in the incident, Shaw is in the second group.