Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sarah Knutton census 1911

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rose

Rose Report 19 Jan 2022 16:42

I am researching the Knutton family. and cannot find Sarah Knutton on the 1911 census.

Sarah was born on 16th August 1889. Parents were George Knutton and Anna(Hannah). They lived in Sheffield. In1891 they were in Sussex Street, 1901 Derwent Street.
In 1911 both George and Hannah were dead and I have found Sarah"s living siblings on the census but not her. She may have moved away from Sheffield as she was living in Huddersfield by 1939. ( She married in 1925 but that would not effect the surname in 1991)
Thanks for any help. I have all the other information I need on her so it is just 1911 census help and I know the name Knutton can be easily mis- transcribed.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Jan 2022 16:59

1911 Census For England & Wales
111 Fox Hill Road Wadsley Bridge, Ecclesfield, Yorkshire & Yorkshire (West Riding), England

Henry Vickers Head Married Male 60 1851 Land surveyor Parish of Ecclesfield County of York
Ann Eliza Vickers Wife Married Female 59 1852 - Sheffield York County
Beatrice Marion Vickers Daughter Single Female 21 1890 - Parish of Ecclesfield County
Sarah Knutton Servant Single Female 21 1890 Domestic servant Sheffield York County

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Jan 2022 16:59

Sarah
Knutton
Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
Elland
Halifax
Yorkshire (West Riding)

Rose

Rose Report 19 Jan 2022 17:40

Hi Erica.

Good heavens. How do you do it! thank you. Although she was Sarah Knutton on the census they had transcribed as sarah Vickers ! so it was not coming up for me but it is definitely the correct one because Henry vickers was her uncle. Her aunt was a Mary Knutton but died in 1907 so I had not followed any further to realise that Henry had remarried an Ann.
It probably is her on the 1921 census but I can't check and I not ventured into anything on 1921Census! Again my thanks to you.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Jan 2022 18:36

Always check images………

The info I posted is as transcribed on FMP - which site were you using?

Rose

Rose Report 19 Jan 2022 18:44

I was using Ancestry. But nothing came up for her when I checked the details you gave me by typing in Henry Vickers I found it but she was on the transcription as Sarah Vickers!!
So pleased to find her so thanks

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Jan 2022 19:12

Have you submitted a correction?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Jan 2022 22:02

I have.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Jan 2022 08:17

:-) :-) :-)

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 20 Jan 2022 14:02

The other 3 members of the 1921 household in Elland with Sarah Knutton, that ErikaH posted, were:

William E Dyson born Elland Yorkshire 1874
Sarah A Dyson born Huddersfield Yorkshire 1871
George H Dyson born Elland Yorkshire 1911

You could probably cross ref with the 1911 census if you wanted to find out more about the Dysons.

I used the hover over preview method to find their names without paying out any money, so that's all the info I could get for free.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 20 Jan 2022 14:28

William Ernest Dyson , woollen manufacturer, and newly wed wife Sarah Ann were living in Elland in 1911 with one general domestic servant. Their son, or so I assume, George Hirst Dyson, mmn name Hirst, had his birth registered Sept qtr 1911 Halifax.

My best guess would be that Sarah was fulfilling the role of general domestic servant, or maid of all work, to the Dyson family in 1921.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 20 Jan 2022 14:47

The Dysons were living at 'Arnold Royd', Victoria Rd Elland in census 1911 and at 'Montrose' or 'Melrose' (transcribed Montrose, image looks like Melrose to me) , Victoria Rd, Elland on the 1939 register. It seems quite likely, but only supposition, that they, and Sarah, might have been living in Victoria Rd in 1921 also.

Sorry for lack of transcripts, but I'm on my tablet and struggle to c &p on it.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 Jan 2022 19:15

Address in 1921 - Arnold Royd;

William Ernest Dyson
in the West Yorkshire, England, Electoral Registers, 1840-1962
Name: William Ernest Dyson
Year: 1921
County: West Yorkshire
Parliamentary Division: Elland
Reference Number: Elland

Also at that address in years before and after 1921.

Rose

Rose Report 21 Jan 2022 17:19

Thank you for the additional Information. So interesting. When I found my missing Sarah getting married in 1925 , the address on the marriage certificate is 'Arnold Royd" Victoria Road , Elland. I did a bit of research thinking Arnold Royd was a house name but it appears to be a street. so with the information I guess she was living with the Dysons when she married. Her new husband lived at Myrtle Road so a couple of mins away from Victoria Road!! There was a "Melrose Court" in Victoria Road at some point and linked to a victorian house so Melrose is probably right for 1939 register.

Again a great help thank you for taking the time to check for me.