Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sandytyrone

sandytyrone Report 19 Jan 2022 22:04

Hi is there anyone here could help me find information on my great grandfather ? his name was John Kelly and its possible he came from Antrim ,he died on the 04/02/1961 at the age of 83 he was married march 1916 to Sarah /Jane Mawhinney in Magherafelt Co Londonderry they had one daughter my grand mother born 10/10/1961 thanks :-)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Jan 2022 22:47

Welcome to the boards, Sandytyrone.

For our reference:

SR District/Reg Area - Magherafelt
Marriage of JOHN KELLY and SARAH MAWHINNEY
on 07 January 1916
Party 1 Name JOHN KELLY
Party 2 Name SARAH MAWHINNEY
Date of Event 07 January 1916
Group Registration ID 1722567
SR District/Reg Area Magherafelt

John Kelly, full age, bachelor, farmer.
Residence: Edenreagh.
Father: James Kelly, farmer.

Sarah J Mawhinney, full age, spinster.
Residence: Edenreagh.
Father: Mathew Mawhinney, farmmer.

Witnesses: James Bates; Maggie E Mawhinney

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Jan 2022 22:59

What was your grandmothers name

Think you mean born 1916 not 1961 ?

greyghost

greyghost Report 19 Jan 2022 23:06

Possibly Sarah with her family in 1901

Residents of a house 8 in Edenreagh (Bellaghy, Londonderry)
Show all information
Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses
Mawhinney Mathew 46 Male Head of Family Presbyterian Church Co Derry Farmer Read and write - Married -
Mawhinney Jane 42 Female Wife Presbyterian Church Co Derry - Read and write - Married -
Mawhinney Wilson 16 Male Son Presbyterian Church Co Derry F Son Read and write - Not Married -
Mawhinney Robert 14 Male Son Presbyterian Church Co Derry F Son Read and write - Not Married -
Mawhinney Henderson 12 Male Son Presbyterian Church Co Derry F Son Read and write - Not Married -
Mawhinney Sarah 10 Female Daughter Presbyterian Church Co Derry F Daughter Read and write - Not Married -
Mawhinney Maggie 8 Female Daughter Presbyterian Church Co Derry Scholar Read - Not Married -
Mawhinney William 5 Male Son Presbyterian Church Co Derry Scholar Read - Not Married -

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Jan 2022 23:08

A tree on ancestry has this

Sarah Jane Mawhinney
1890–1939
BIRTH 23 MAY 1890 • Bellaghy, Ballyscullion, Londonderry, Northern Ireland
DEATH 11/12/1939 • Castledawson Presbyterian Graveyard

John kelly
1878–1961
BIRTH 1878
DEATH 04/02/1961 • Killfaddy, Magherafelt Parish, Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Jeannie/Jane kelly
1916–1995
BIRTH 10 OCT 1916 • Killfaddy, Magherafelt Parish, Londonderry, Northern Ireland
DEATH 21 JAN 1995 • Tullyrowan, Tobermore, Londonderry, Northern Ireland

greyghost

greyghost Report 19 Jan 2022 23:10

And in 1911

Residents of a house 3 in Edenreagh (Bellaghy, Londonderry)
Show all information
Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living
Mawhinney Mathew 58 Male Head of Family Presbyterian Church Co Derry Farmer Read and wright - Married - 30 - -
Mawhinney Jane 57 Female Wife Presbyterian Church Co Derry - Read and write - Married - 30 6 4
Mawhinney William 16 Male Son Presbyterian Church Co Derry Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
Mawhinney Sarah Jane 20 Female Daughter Presbyterian Church Co Derry - Read and write - Single - - - -
Mawhinney Maggie 18 Female Daughter Presbyterian Church Co Derry - Read and write - Single - - - -

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 Jan 2022 09:58

PM from Sandytyrone today - I've advised replying on here rather than by PMs:

Thank you ArgyllGran for your reply. thanks for the information you sent me i guess i should have maybe put a little more information on my thread but i am new to all this , so sorry about that, all the information you sent me i have it on my ancestry tree I know all the information on my great grand mother Sarah Mawhinney / Kelly its my great grandfather John Kelly i am searching for information I know he died what age he was when he died and that he was in a mental hospital in Co Londonderry for around 9 years it was called Gransha ,what i do not know is where he was from his dob or the name of his mother .

Sandytyrone -
is that your tree that Shirley's quoted from?

Even if not - is the date of death given for John correct - and his age at death?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Jan 2022 10:09

Irish records after the 1911 census arent online I,m afraid

sandytyrone

sandytyrone Report 20 Jan 2022 10:18

Hi yes that is my tree on ancestry ,John Kelly died on the 04/02/1961 at the age of 83 this information is from his headstone

greyghost

greyghost Report 20 Jan 2022 11:43

PM from Sandytyrone to which I replied -

I appreciate who it is you are wanting information about. We, the helpers, have no idea what information you have and what you don't, so sometimes it's worth working forwards and sideways to see if we can help.

The only positive thing you posted was his marriage which once we looked it up gave further clues.

The census I posted may have helped - or not! We now know that her family were locals and it was worth then looking around to see if there was a suitable John Kelly in the same area 5 years before the marriage. Truth is he could have come into the area from anywhere or Sarah could have left home to work anywhere and returned for her wedding.

Try locating where the mental hospital records are held and see if you might be able to access his personal records which may give further information.

Who registered his death - his personal information is only as good as what is "known" by the person who registered it.

Good hunting

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 Jan 2022 11:59

Re Gransha Hospital:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gransha_Hospital

Records are at PRONI, including Admissions & Discharges 1829-1962:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=3124&page=19

PRONI contact details:
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/a?_ref=255