Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption, care

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amanda

Amanda Report 2 Mar 2022 00:26

My father had 2 step sisters that I remember mentioned when I was little, that they was taken away as children, they appear on the 1911 census living with my grand parents, but not on the 1921 census, but it is possible they could have been working away by then, but there is no record of their names anywhere that I can find,
They would have been 16 and 14 in 1921 but no other living family member has any knowledge, is there any way to trace them

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 Mar 2022 07:53

Welcome to the boards, Amanda.

If you like to give us names, dates, and places, we'll happily have a look.

Ideally, copy/paste the 1911 census here for us to see, or at least tell us your grandparents' names , the sisters' names, and where they were living in 1911.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Mar 2022 08:28

If they were adopted they would probably have had their surname changed but could possibly have kept their first name as they would have been at least 6 and 4 when adopted.

However, if they were living with grandparents up until they were 6 and 4 it would seem strange that they didn't stay with them - unless your grandparents died when the sisters were young.

There was no formal adoption at that time and many children were brought up by neighbours or friends of their parents.

Kath. x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Mar 2022 10:20

Are the grandparents on the 1921 census?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Mar 2022 10:37

As this is Amanda's first post I have sent her a pm and asked her to return to this thread and give more details.

Kath. x