Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Francis Edward James - 1921

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 17 Mar 2022 16:20

Would someone please be able to look up the 1921 address for the above? He was born 12 May, 1912, Pontypridd, father was Obed(iah) Henry James, b 1876, Newhaven on Severn, and his mothet (Lucy Fanny James) was dead by this time.
Siblings included Elsie (1906), Ernest (1907), John (1907), David (1908). Thanks, John.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Mar 2022 16:27

To see the address one would have to view the transcription, Costs £2.50.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 17 Mar 2022 16:28

John

The 1921 census is only available on FindMyPast. You can do a basic search for free but everyone, even those with subs, must pay for the downloads.

John

John Report 17 Mar 2022 16:54

Thanks for the info. I’ll get onto FindMyPast.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 17 Mar 2022 19:08

The family in 1911:

Lucy James
in the 1911 England Census
Name: Lucy James
Age in 1911: 27
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1884
Relation to Head: Wife
Birth Place: Wednesbury, Staffordshire
Civil Parish: Guiting Temple
Street Address: 104 Ford Nr Broadway Worcestershire
Marital status: Married
Years Married: 7
Estimated Marriage Year: 1904
Registration District Number: 332
Sub-registration District: Guiting
ED, institution, or vessel: 03
Piece: 15499
Household Members:
Name Age
Obed James 35
Lucy James 27
Elsie May James 5 - Prestbury, Gloucestershire
John Henry James 4 - ditto
Ernest Frederick James 4 - ditto
David Sydney James 2 - Stanway, Gloucestershire
Beatrice Muriel James 1 - Temple Guiting
Victor Emmanuel James 1/12 - Temple Guiting [ died 1912 ]

In 1921 they're in Llantwitfardre, Pontypridd - but as has been said, it costs money to see the actual address and other details.

However, if the hover-over method is to be believed, only Obed, Beatrice Muriel and Elsie May are together in one household on census day 1921.

Obed has been mistranscribed as Oled.

Ernest Frederick seems to be in Willand, Sampford Peverell, Tiverton in 1921.
John Henry is in Pyrford, Chertsey, Surrey.

Can't see David Sydney/Sidney with any confidence.

EDIT:

Ah, I see - Francis has been mistranscribed as living alone, in Llantwitfardre - so presumably he's with Obed, Beatrice and Elsie.

John

John Report 18 Mar 2022 11:44

Argyll gran, thanks very much for the info, and for working out the glitch, John

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 18 Mar 2022 14:54

Glamorganshire Electoral register shows Obed Henry James was living at 1, Gwynfryn Terrace, Llanwit in 1921.

EDIT, the register page is headed 'in the parish of Llanwit Fardre.'

Sent image to John as I can't c& p on my tablet

John

John Report 18 Mar 2022 16:43

Kucinta, thanks for the info. That makes sense as he had other addresses in Llanwit Fardre, (and you've saved me £2.50!) so double thanks, John

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 18 Mar 2022 17:32

Well, AG had done the hard work in ascertaining which of his children were with him in census 1921.

But yes, it is always satisfying to get around paying out for the 1921 census by a little teamwork ;-)

Looking at the ERs, Obed was at No 1 Gwynfryn Terrace by 1918, and remained listed there up to and including 1923.

1924 through to 1928 he is listed at No 7 Gwynfryn Terrace with John and Maud Evans amongst others.

1932 Obed is living 33 Castell -y- mynad Rd Lantrisant.

1933/34 He is recorded at Ystradbarwig Cottages Llanwit, Llanwit Fardre.

He is consistently recorded as Obed Henry James.

Obviously the ERs don't record any children who might have been living with him as they were too young to vote, or had left home by the time they were of voting age, in the records above.

John

John Report 19 Mar 2022 12:19

Thanks again, Kucinta. I hadn’t realised how good some of the Wales ERs were.