Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1921 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 12 May 2022 10:13

I want to find my grandfather on the 1921 records, but see that Find my Past want £3.50 just to look up 1 record. Is there any cheaper way of looking up the 1921 records please. Seems so expensive if the the wrong family is found, especially with the name of William John Lewis.in Wales . I was 2 years looking on the the wrong Lewis family until the 1911 came on line and then found a younger sister who I had met , that was born after 1901.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 May 2022 10:31

You can LOOK UP anything without charge.

It only costs to access the image or the transcription

NO-ONE can see the images/transcriptions without paying - even those who have FULL subscriptions to FMP.

Start by finding the man - hover over the 'image' button to see limited info about who else is at the address

John

John Report 12 May 2022 10:42

Thank you Erika, I have tried that for my grandmother to find if grandad was with her but can’t find her either, the thing is they separated when my dad was little so wondered if they were together in 1921. I never knew my grandad even though he died in the 1960,s

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 12 May 2022 11:38

If you like to tell us names, places of birth, and DOBs, we'll have a look .

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 May 2022 12:10

Where was your father in 1921?

I see you've edited your OP since I first replied.............................

WHEN was the grandfather born? Ditto grandmother..............and her name

Post 1911 for our info if you want us to try to help

Where was each of your grandparents in 1939?

John

John Report 15 May 2022 17:48

Hello ArgyllGran. Hope all is well with you. I am trying to find my Grandad William John Lewis (who I never knew,) on the 1921 census. He was born 20th Aug 1887, Deri Glamorgan . He and my Gran I believe might have separated by then, her name was Edith Mary Lewis, nee Nash. .I wouldnt know exactly where he lived in Wales because of the separation. His parents were William and Mary Lewis , in 1911they were living in Deri Glamorgan. It’s taken me years until 2019 until someone found his death in a hostel in Shrewsbury .

John

John Report 15 May 2022 18:25

Erika in answer to you post. presume my father Reginald Lawrence Lewis b 1914 was with his mother Edith Mary Lewis living in Dursley Glos. b. 1896 Gloucester. His father William John Lewis b 20th Aug 1887 Deri Glamorgan. They separated unknown when..1939 Edith M Lewis living in Dursley. 1939 William John Lewis living in a hostel in Shrewsbury.( only found that out 2yrs ago). My father Reginald L Lewis was killed in Holland in 1943, his Lancaster was shot down. According to grandads sister he was told of dads death, walked out of the house and after that no one knew where he went to.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 May 2022 18:56

Your father, in 1921, was in Gloucester with Arthur, Mary and two others

I will try to ascertain further details………….

EDIT

Looks like he was with his mother’s family, but not including his mother

Mary Nash, Arthur Nash, Arthur William Nash, Ada Nellie Nash

greyghost

greyghost Report 15 May 2022 19:10

Surname First name(s) Mother District Vol Page
Births Jun 1914 (>99%)
Lewis Reginald L Nash Marylebone 1a 980a

1921 census -
First name(s) Last name Birth year Birth place Parish Registration district County
Reginald Lawrence Lewis 1914 Marylebone, London, England Gloucester Gloucester Gloucestershire

Reginald Lawrence, Arthur, Mary and 2 others are on this record

You could have looked up the above result on FMP for free, no need to be a member. You can then pay to see the transcript and/ or the Original record. (FMP members have to pay too). suggest original as transcript may have mistakes.

When the original comes up it will give names, ages, occupation. Click on the box at the bottom that says Extra (address) to get the address and other information.

-----
If your Father was already in the RAF when the 1939 register was compiled he won't show on the register

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 May 2022 20:30

Possibly your grandparents in 1921 ?? Living in Tipton:

William John
Lewis
— [no POB stated ]
Tipton
Dudley
Staffordshire

He's living with Edith Mary Lewis 1894 (born Gloucestershire)
and William Joseph Clarke 1873, Bessie Edith Grice 1910, and Bessie Edith Clarke 1877.

When was your grandmother born? [EDIT: Just noticed you said 1896 - but there's no such birth in 1896 Gloucestershire.]

Is this the 1939 entry for her in Dursley, which you mention.?

Edith M Lewis
in the 1939 England and Wales Register
Name: Edith M Lewis
Marital Status: Single [ >>>>>> but the S has a red line through it ]
Birth Date: 24 Feb 1893
Residence Date: 1939
Address: Copen, the Quarry, Nr Dursley
Residence Place: Dursley, Gloucestershire, England
Occupation: Paid Domestic Duties [scored out, replaced by "Housekeeper" ]
Line Number: 14
Schedule Number: 62
Sub Schedule Number: 6
Enumeration District: Oddf
Borough: Dursley
Registration district: 327-1
Household Members Age
Vincent C Smetham 53
Doreen Battcock
This record is officially closed.
This record is officially closed.
Raymond Vizor 27
Edith M Lewis 46

Edith Mary Lewis
in the England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916-2007
Name: Edith Mary Lewis
Death Age: 92
Birth Date: 24 Feb 1893
Registration Date: Nov 1985
Registration District: Gloucester
Inferred County: Gloucestershire
Volume: 22
Page: 1954

Edith Mary Lewis
in the England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1995
Name: Edith Mary Lewis
Death Date: 22 Nov 1985
Death Place: Dursley Glos
Probate Date: 9 Jan 1986
Probate Registry: Llandaff

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 May 2022 21:45

Edith Mary Nash, MMN Turner 1893 Gloucester South Hamlet. On FREE site Glosbmd

(AMJ qtr on freebmd and GRO)

John

John Report 8 Jun 2022 00:22

Sorry not been able to answer to your findings regarding my Lewis family up until now. Thankyou so much for looking into the 1921 info for me.it looks like my dad Reginald L Lewis was with his grandparents in Gloucester, my Nan not in the household. Then I see ArgylGran that you found my Nan and Grandad were in Tipton Staffordshire, so now I know they hadn’t separated in 1921 but perhaps the marriage could have been rocky for my Nan to leave my dad with my great grandparents. Thankyou it has given me an answer to what I needed to know. By 1939 my brother and I were born , Mum and Dad were living in Ashford Kent where Dad was a school teacher. He was killed in a Lancaster on 12th June 1943. Obviously it was meant to be for my brother and I not to know our grandfather William John Lewis. Such a pity because he would have had 4 grandchildren born before he died. Many thanks once again to you all