Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Richard Keel c1680

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carter

Carter Report 5 Jun 2022 07:58

Hello
I am looking for the parents and wife of Richard Keel. He was born c1680 in Rumney Hampshire.. He was hanged 23rd December 1713 aged 33.
A family member has told me that years ago his father did some research and found that Richard was somehow distantly related to The Jerram family in our tree. He thinks it might have been a sister who married into the Jerrams but not sure
I have no idea who were Richards parents, siblings or wife.
Any help would be very much appreciated
Thank you

" Richard Keele was born to very good and reputable parents in Hampshire; he married the daughter of the barber and periwig maker to whom he was apprenticed and lived with her for seven or eight years; then he came to London and married a woman who received £50 per annum. He was well enough established, but 'His sole delight and pleasure was ever in keeping company with the greatest rogues, whores, and thieves, from whom he had learnt so much of their bad manners, that he exceeded them all in villainy; especially when he came to be a bailiff, the general character of which office is, that the beginning is detestable, the course desperate, and the end damnable.' Involved mostly in petty larceny to supplement a meagre income as bailiff, he was hanged in 1713 for assisting in an attempted prison breakout during which a turnkey was killed."

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 Jun 2022 10:18

Richard Keele, condemn'd for abetting and assisting Charles Houghton and William Lowther in the Murther of Edward Perry, a Servant to Mr. Bowman, Keeper of the Bridewel, or Workhouse in Clerkenwel, on the 19th of September last. He deny'd his being guilty of this horrid Fact; saying, he had no intent to do that Mischief, but so far from it, that he did what he could to prevent it: Yet acknowledged God was just in inflicting such a Punishment upon him, for he had been a Loose and Wicked Liver, though not so bad as the World had represented him. Upon this I put him in mind of his being once try'd for, and convicted of Blasphemy, and another time of a Felony; for which latter Fact, he was sent to that Workhouse, where Charles Houghton, William Lowther, with himself and others made a Riot, in which Houghton was killed upon the Spot, himself and Lowther much wounded, and Edward Perry, (mention'd before) received some mortal Wounds, of which he dy'd not long after: All which being fully proved at his Tryal, it was in vain for him now to deny it. To this he answer'd, That what I said was true as to the Fact it self, but it was not chargeable upon him, protesting that he was clear of it; because he had no such Design, as to oppose the Officers of that Prison in the discharging their Duty, tho' he thought it a heavy thing to have Irons put upon him, and be obliged to hard Labour besides. This is all the Confession I could get of him concerning this Matter. As to other Sins he felt his Conscience loaded with, he declared them to me; telling me he had been very much addicted to Swearing, Cursing, Profanation of the Lord's Day, Drinking, Whoring, &c. and that he had, for these six years pass'd, kept Company with a Woman that was not his Wife, viz. Arabella Thomas, of whom I gave an Account just now. He said, he was about 33 years of age, born at Rumney in Hampshire, and brought up at Winchester, where he learn'd the Art of making Perriwigs , and then came up to London, and kept a Perriwig-maker's Shop at Rotherhith for 6 years together: But some Difference arising between him and his Wife, they parted; and that proved the Cause of his going astray, and having to do with another Woman, and one too that had an Husband; but he did not then consider, What great Crime that was: Of which I now endeavour'd to make him sensible, by shewing him from Scripture, viz. 1 Cor. 6. 9. and other places; That as no Murderer, so no Fornicator, nor Adulterer shall inherit the Kingdom of God. To which he reply'd, How then can I be saved? This is enough to cast a Man into despair. Upon this I shew'd him, That if he truly repented, God would be so merciful to him, as to pardon all his Sins, and save his Soul. And here I gave him particular Instructions for his Encouragement to apply himself to God for Grace, that he might be deliver'd from the Wrath to come, &c.

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?div=OA17131223

That seems to imply he was only married once - but no clue as to wife's name, unfortunately.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Jun 2022 10:25

Where have you looked? Knowing that would save others a lot of time.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Jun 2022 11:13

To find a connection, you will have to work back from what you have proven to be factual info about the people in your tree

Do some research based on what you know

Try using familysearch I'm sure you have been given the link............but, here it is again. Make a note

https://www.familysearch.org/search/

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Jun 2022 11:45

I may be mistaken, but hasn’t Carter been given basic research advice before?

Carter

Carter Report 8 Jun 2022 07:04

Thank you everyone for your help and advice.
I have been given basic research advice before and I have looked up Richard Keel on Ancestry, Find my past and google.
I was hoping that perhaps someone had Richard in their tree , done more research on him, had access to more local parish records or anything else that could help.
Thank you once again .

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Jun 2022 08:33

More access to parish records? Have you tried the Hampshire Fhs which is actually hgs ( Hampshire Genealogical Society.)?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Jun 2022 09:06

If he’s in a GR member’s tree, you can find out easily by looking at ‘search all member trees’. Otherwise, research your Kerram line thoroughly, to see what turns up.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 8 Jun 2022 19:49

As others have said, you need to research your Jerram family thoroughly.

If 'Rumney' is actually Romsey, then Hampshire marriages on FMP came up with this marriage , which could be a variant spelling of Jerram, at Michelmarsh, 3-4 miles away...

but it is totally random, much later time period so definitely not a sister.

Samuel Jerome and Elizabeth Keel were married 9th Jan 1818 at Michelmarsh, Hampshire.

So extremely speculative, and your best bet is more research on your Jerram family.