Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Juff Cheung

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Agee

Agee Report 11 Jul 2022 14:34

I am seeking some advice from more experiences site users.

I have spent several years trying to find details of a gentleman without success.
I am wondering - as a last ditch attempt - if any of you have any ideas that may help me.

Juff Cheung was born in China in 1928/29.

He emigrated from Hong Kong to London between 1955-1960.
In 1963 I have records for him working at "The Bamboo Room" Chinese restaurant
at 22-24 Station Road, Wood Green, Middlesex.

At this time he had a partner named Patricia Martin (1930-1988).

The only other record I can verify is a 1988 electoral entry for Swanley Kent.
At this time his name is recorded as Jeffrey Cheung Martin.

I have been unable to find a marriage certificate for him and Patricia.
I cannot find him on the electoral list after 1988.
I have been unable to locate a death certificate in the name Juff or Jeffrey Cheung.

Any help or suggestions you have will be gratefully received.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Jul 2022 14:39

Do you have previous threads about this man?? Seems very familiar.................

Who registered the woman's death?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Jul 2022 14:55

I don't see any earlier threads.

The Electoral Rolls aren't much help, as there seem to be men named Jeffrey (or other spelling) Cheung in all four UK nations.

If he's calling himself Martin, that's just as bad.

Agee

Agee Report 11 Jul 2022 15:00

ErikaH I am certain that Patricia died. Her death was registered by her sister (now deceased) and I have the certificate and copy of probate. But neither mention Juff / Jeffrey.

Patricia referred to him as her husband and they shared a surname - but I wonder if they were unmarried and this was what we refer to as "common law" husband and wife.

Agee

Agee Report 11 Jul 2022 15:02

ArgyllGran 2-3 years ago I asked for help on immigration / travel records in his name as I had searched thousands without success.

Sometimes the answer is right there and you cant see it - that why I have asked more experienced researchers on this forum for ideas.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Jul 2022 15:06

Yes, it sounds familiar, but I don't see the earlier thread.

Did you delete it?
If not, please post a link to it.

Even if not strictly relevant to your present query, you never know, it might help.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 11 Jul 2022 15:11

Agee definitely had previous threads about his man. If I remember correctly there may have been two.

I think there was lots of discussions on this man. Such a shame to have deleted all that help and advice and now Agee is asking the same people to help from scratch. :-|

Added: but can’t c&p it was dated Dec 2021 headed 1950’s migration/……

I put the name Agee into Quick search. The is another Agee thread as well but for another person

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Jul 2022 15:20

You say you have a copy of Patricia's probate.
Do you have a copy of her Will - if there was one?

Although I can see the probate details on Ancestry, I can't look it up on
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk
because it won't believe me when I say she wasn't a soldier!

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Jul 2022 15:23

Thanks for the clue, Nameslessone.

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1399038

His name's not mentioned in that thread, so it didn't come up in my search for Cheung.

Perhaps he returned to Hong Kong.

If he's still alive in the UK, but has opted out of the public ER, we won't be able to find him.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 11 Jul 2022 15:31

Thanks for putting that up AG.

I’m pretty sure that the HAD been another one that mentioned the name. What has been put in the OP was in the missing thread.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Jul 2022 15:36

Related thread mentioning Patricia in passing - but no help with Jeffrey/Juff:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1399212

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 11 Jul 2022 15:41

I didn’t ‘t read through it - just saw it initially referred to someone else. But I know I’ve come across the Jeffrey/Juff Cheung name before.

Agee

Agee Report 11 Jul 2022 16:26

Hello everyone.

I did post one about 2 years ago. That was asking more generally about how I could find immigration or travel records.

I have continued researching - but only have the details in this thread.
My knowledge of him is extremely limited. I literally have no other information.

He seems to have disappeared following Patricia's death in 1988.
There are several variations of the surname Cheung, and no double barrel surnames of Cheung Martin anywhere that I can find.

Thank you all for trying to help.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Jul 2022 18:03

No need ever to delete threads - they don’t take up any space on your computer, and leaving them on here can be helpful.

Agee

Agee Report 11 Jul 2022 18:09

ErikaH - Thank you. At the time I didn't know how to mark as answered. didn't want to waste anyone's time so deleted.