Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Margaret Stewart 1550

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

masami

masami Report 13 Jul 2022 16:32

Hi All

I have Margaret Stewart on my tree born 1550 and married to Robert Algeo born 1548
However I have seen some trees that show Margaret was the illegitimate daugter of Robert Stewart earl of Lennox/March.
I have looked and looked but I can't find evidence to corroborate this information.
I know some people collect name but without evidence I can't add her parentage!

I have tried to contact some people via their tree (not this site) but the system is not working.
any help or advise would be grateful.

thank you
Maureen

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Jul 2022 16:45

Where are the 'trees' to which you refer?

If there's no documentary backup, and they are on Ancestry, treat them with extreme scepticism

masami

masami Report 13 Jul 2022 16:50

Yes they are and I do. Not everyone does the research to back up the statements they make which is frustrating.
I would love it to be true because if it is correct line then going even further back in history would be fascinating.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 13 Jul 2022 17:10

That is a VERY long way back. If you haven’t done so you need to search the various archives to see if there are any papers referring to Margaret.

Is there a reference to Margaret in the Bishops Visitations?

Added. You could study the history of Robert to work out his whereabouts to see if it was at all possible that he fathered Margaret.

masami

masami Report 13 Jul 2022 17:38

I've looked at so many sights I've lost count. I've read a lot about him but not found any reference to illegitimate children.
I'm stuck as where to go now.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Jul 2022 17:59

You've done very well to get as far back as you have.

I can't even see the Algeo marriage you mention!
Nor the baptisms of the children listed on the Ancestry trees, again without proof.

Not that I've looked at all the trees. Robert Algeo is in 183 trees!

masami

masami Report 13 Jul 2022 18:07

The algeo line has been well researched and documented. Its such an usual name and evidence on line to back it up. The name changes to Algie over time but Margaret is a mystery as to how the connection has been made with the earl.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 13 Jul 2022 18:23

But have you looked in the local and National archives? Have you been in touch with the Stewart Society?

Remember that all those trees are probably copies of just one. Some people will just grab on to someone with the right surname and dates. Which is why I suggested you research the whereabouts of Robert who seems to have spent time in battle and time overseas.

masami

masami Report 13 Jul 2022 18:40

I've looked at the National Archives and also the stewart society as well. Which lists he died without issue but no mention of out of wedlock children.
i think I will just not go down that line with her.

I think I'm becoming an expert on him!! the amount of websites i've been on

Ellen

Ellen Report 17 Jul 2022 04:24

I found this on Wikipedia

<p>The Scots Peerage: Founded on Woods Ed. Of Sir Robert Douglass Peerage of Scotland, Vol. 5, 1908<br />Date: 1908<br />Place: Scotland <br />Publication date: Between 1904 and 1914<br />Text: "...of King James vi. 7 Robert Stewart is said, however, to have had a natural daughter, Margaret, married to Robert Algeo of Easter Walkinshaw, co. Renfrew. 8 1 Burials, Westminster, 112; Coopers Life and..."<br />About this source: <br />Title: The Scots Peerage: Founded on Woods Ed. Of Sir Robert Douglass Peerage of Scotland, Vol. 5, 1908<br />Subject: Nobility -- Scotland, Scotland -- Peerage<br />Description: 26<br />Volume: 5<br />Publication date: 1904-1914<br />Publisher: Edinburgh : D. Douglas<br />Author: Paul, James Balfour, Sir, 1846-1931<br />Sponsor: MSN<br />Tags: robarts, toronto<br />Contributor: Robarts - University of Toronto</p>

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 17 Jul 2022 08:47

"Robert Stewart is said, however, to have had a natural daughter, Margaret, married to Robert Algeo of Easter Walkinshaw,"

As it is only 'said' it is not proof.