Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Harriett Dakin

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 21 Mar 2023 20:09

I'm after some advice please.

I believe I have correctly identified one of my uncles DNA matches as a 2C1R. The amount of DNA shared is correct for this relationship.

The match had a tree with just two Private entries. Checking all records on Ancestry I found who I believe to be the correct lady on an outward bound passenger list from 1958 travelling to Sydney with her husband and two sons. One of the sons is also a DNA match. Their last address had been in Derby. Her birth record in 1927 Joan Lomas MMN as Dakin Derby 7b 962 Dakin is a family name for me.

I believe her parents are Anthony Lomas and Harriett Dakin who married in 1907. Due to there being 20 years between parents marriage and Joans birth I also ordered her birth certificate but only the marriage certificate arrived today. On the marriage certificate Anthony is 29 years, Harriett is 15 years. Harrietts father named as Elijah Dakin a labourer which is what I expected.

My query is regarding Harrietts age. Harrietts birth was registered in Jun q 1886 MMN Bolton Burton on Trent. I have Elijah Dakin 1847 and Mary Bolton in my tree. They married in 1871 in Chapel en le Frith Derbyshire.

Year of birth in 1891 1886
1901 1886
1911 1884
1921 1883
1939 1883

Yet on her marriage is states age 15

Is it common to see as big a difference in age as this? Do you think this Harriet is my Harriet?

Chris

greyghost

greyghost Report 21 Mar 2023 22:41

1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census
3, Peet Street, St Werburgh, Derby, Derbyshire, England
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Elijah Dakin Head Married Male 34 1847 Lead works labourer Mickleover, Derbyshire, England
Mary Dakin Wife Married Female 29 1852 - Hathersage, Derbyshire, England
Thomas Dakin Son Single Male 6 1875 Scholar Derby, Derbyshire, England

1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Babington Lane, St Peter, Derby, Derbyshire, England
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Elijah Dakin Head Married Male 44 1847 General labourer Derbyshire, England
Mary Dakin Wife Married Female 39 1852 - Hathersage
Thomas Dakin Son Single Male 17 1874 Gen labourer Derby, Derbyshire, England
Elizabeth Dakin Daughter Single Female 8 1883 Scholar Derby, Derbyshire, England
Harriett Dakin Daughter Single Female 5 1886 Scholar Derby, Derbyshire, England
Anne Dakin Daughter - Female 2 1889 - Derby, Derbyshire, England

1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census
39, Radbourne Street, Derby, Derbyshire, England

Elijah Dakin Head Married Male 54 1847 Labourer lead works Mickleover, Derbyshire, England
Mary Dakin Wife Married Female 47 1854 - Hathersage, Derbyshire, England
Anne Dakin Daughter Single Female 12 1889 - Derbyshire, England
Elijah Dakin Son Single Male 9 1892 - Derbyshire, England

1901 sees Harriet as a Servant in the Choulerton household (haven't copied them into reply)

1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census

197, Burton Road, Derby, Derbyshire, England
Harriet Dakin Servant Single Female 15 1886 Housemaid domestic Mickleover, Derbyshire, England
Annie Whittington Servant Single Female 19 1882 Servant

The 1891 census gives her place of birth as Mickleover which comes under the Burton RD. Maybe the parents just grouped all the children as born Derby, but later census give Mickleover correctly

greyghost

greyghost Report 21 Mar 2023 22:46

The marriage was in 1901 which would fit with age of 15 <<<<<<<<<<<

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Marriages Sep 1901 (>99%)
DAKIN Harriett Derby 7b 1047
LOMAS Anthony Derby 7b 1047

Address on marriage certificate (available on Ancestry) is as per parents address on 1901 census.
Witnesses would appear to be Father Elijah and sister Elizabeth

The way 1901 is written on the certificate could be confused for 1907 but to order it you would have needed to put the correct year?

greyghost

greyghost Report 21 Mar 2023 22:54

A couple of years "older" in 1911- perhaps to disguise the difference in age between her and husband and this maintained over the years?

1911 Census For England & Wales
108 Stockbrook St Derby, Derby, Derbyshire, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship to head Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Anthonhy Lomas Head Married Male 39 1872 Fish salesman Chesterfield Derbys
Harriet Lomas Wife Married Female 27 1884 - Mickleover Derbys
Evelyn Lomas Daughter - Female 9 1902 - Derby Derbys
Henry Lomas Son - Male 7 1904 - Lancaster Lancs
Hilda Lomas Daughter - Female 2 1909 - Derby Derbys

The 1939 register gives her DOB as 14 April 1883 - wrong year but maintains the reduced age gap and the 14th April would be right for a June birth reg.

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 22 Mar 2023 10:14

Apologies for my mistake greyghost you are correct. When I wrote this query I took the info from the certigicate and read it as 1907 as to me me that's what it looks like. I had ordered it using the correct year. I wish I'd found it on Ancestry before ordering it.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. This Harriett is definitely mine then.

Chris

Maddie

Maddie Report 22 Mar 2023 14:52

as transcribed on find my past

Harriett
Father's last name Dakin
Last name Dakin
Spouse's first name(s) Anthony
Sex Female
Spouse's last name Lomas
Age 15
Spouse's sex Male
Birth year 1892
Spouse's age 29
Marital status Single
Spouse's birth year 1878
Marriage year 1907
Spouse's marital status Single
Marriage date 09 Jul 1907
Spouse's father's first name(s) William
Marriage place St Barnabas' Church, Derby, Derbyshire, England
Spouse's father's last name Lomas
Denomination Anglican
Country England
Dedication St Barnabas
Record set Derbyshire Marriages
Place Derby, St Barnabas
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
County Derbyshire
Subcategory Parish Marriages
Father's first name(s) Elijah
Collections from England, Great Britain

Index (c) IRI. Used by permission of FamilySearch Intl

greyghost

greyghost Report 22 Mar 2023 16:14

FMP have taken the transcription from Family Search who have also made the same mistake. As I said, looking at the image on Ancestry I can see why the mistake was made as the handwritten year has the 0 running into the 1, making it appear as 1907. Going back through earlier images the preceeding year is obviously 1900, though I wouldn't be surprised if in some instances 1902 got transcribed as 1909!

FMP have the correct year on their England and Wales Marriages and the Derbyshire Registrar's Marriage index, but unfortunately not in the Derbyshire marriages due to Family Search's mistake.

As it's a transcription error I've had to email FMP to point out the mistake, but can't see how to reach Family Search to do the same.

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 22 Mar 2023 17:44

Thanks Maddie and greyghost.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Mar 2023 18:12

Instructions for correcting things on FS:

https://www.familysearch.org/en/help/helpcenter/article/how-do-i-fix-indexing-or-transcription-errors-in-historical-records

Unfortunately, it doesn't work in this particular instance.

But they say,
"Consider keeping a personal list of any indexing errors that you cannot fix. You can correct them later when more correction options become available. Thank you for your patience as we work to resolve this challenge."

greyghost

greyghost Report 22 Mar 2023 19:38

Always lose lists. :-(