Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marmaduke Buckland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barry

Barry Report 18 May 2023 20:35

Hello i am looking in to a ancestor of mine Marmaduke Buckland born in Reigate Surry 1653 dont know if any one has access to parish records births marriages and deaths.
There is a very strong Rumer that the Bucklands at one time were Gypse folk i have looked at the censer records and can not find any thing going back to 1840.
I have picked Marmaduke has he sounds a like a traveller ?

Any way if you find some thing please let me know
Barry

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 May 2023 21:46

Have you got your dates right.? You say Marmaduke was born in 1653 yet say you can’t find anything in the census - the first one being in 1841. Well he wouldn’t be on that one if born that far back.

Try looking at Family Search, it is free.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 May 2023 21:59

You say you have "picked" Marmaduke.
Where have you found his name and birth details?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 May 2023 22:08

???
Marmaduke Buckland
Birthdate: June 03, 1654
Birthplace: Reigate, Surrey, England, United Kingdom
Death: 1730 (75-76)
Buckinghamshire, England
Immediate Family:

Son of John Buckland and Elizabeth Buckland
Husband of Sarah Buckland
Father of Marmaduke Buckland, I; Margaret Buckland and Martha Buckland
Brother of John Buckland; Lee Buckland; Michael Buckland; Jane Buckland; Allan Buckland and 3 others
Managed by: Private User
Last Updated: July 31, 2020

https://www.geni.com/people/Marmaduke-Buckland/6000000017138509362

Can't tell how accurate that is.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 May 2023 22:11

Marmaduke is on a lot of trees on Ancestry. Those that I looked at don’t have much in the way of sources and seem to have the family moving the length and breadth of England,

The birth record is shown on some of them but I don’t think the record actually shows the child’s name.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 May 2023 09:32

No birth records in those days. Baptisms only

How did you work back to the man, who you refer to as an ancestor?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 May 2023 10:12

Semantics!

The entry in the 'book' included in some of the over 400 trees on Ancestry just refers to child of..... There is a later death of a Marmaduke Buckland in Croydon with a suggested year of birth similar to the 'child of'.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 May 2023 12:52

Barry, are you aware of the Romany & Traveller Family History Society?

I doubt if they have records going back as far as the 1600’s but they may be worth contacting about your Gypsy rumours.

Barry

Barry Report 19 May 2023 19:59

thanks everyone for your kind help