Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry DNA and missing name on birth certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Derek

Derek Report 28 Oct 2023 10:12

Hi Everyone, my wife and I did our Ancestry DNA 2 years ago. A first cousin once removed on my wife’s line did hers 2 months ago. We have a problem with that cousin’s grandmother. We have found her mother has no name for the father. Querying this within the family it seems grandmother was aware of the trouble it would cause she put her husbands name elsewhere/other documents.

Now back to Ancestry. Although there are a total of five trees showing the grandfather’s name. If he was not the father would the DNA result not show someone else as the real father’s lineage?

I hope this makes sense because it is doing my head in lol.

Any thoughts anyone?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 28 Oct 2023 10:36

So the great grandmother thought her husband was not the father of the child, so didn’t put him on the birth certificate. Were they married at the time?

Trees are not that reliable. Not everyone buys certificates, just use what is available or copy someone else.

The cousin needs to follow the matches, making her own trees, to see if she agrees.
If your wife and the cousin have shared ancesters then it can cut the search down a bit.

Using the colour coding can help quite a lot by grouping people together.
Have you both got a sub to Ancestry, I believe without one you don’t get so many matches. If you have a sub but the cousin doesn’t maybe they would agree to let you manage their matches.

Derek

Derek Report 28 Oct 2023 10:51

They were married at the time. Certificate is empty for the father. I manage my wif'e DNA. Cousin is just reopening her account with Ancestry. Her tree is on there ......

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Oct 2023 12:04

Well the certificate would be in her current surname if she was still married

So not naming her husband as father she was being honest in that it was another man

His dna will be part of the child’s lineage but unless someone in his line also does a dna and it’s uploaded to the same site then identifying wouldn’t happen

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Derek

Derek Report 28 Oct 2023 12:11

Cheers Shirley. Understood.