Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

So many Lemons

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 13 Jan 2024 18:03

So here goes. I've been researching my mum's paternal side of the family for nearly 30 years (on and off) after she was told she looked just like her dad. She has never met or even seen a photo of him or anyone from that side of the family.

What I know so far is that his name was Robert Lemon and he was born in Ballywalter, Ireland in Dec 1935, he had one brother Thomas and one sister Kathleen. His parents were Samuel and Kathleen. We know his brother Thomas has died but can't seem to find a death cert for his sister.

When I started I thought Lemon would be quite an unusual name to research (boy was I wrong!)

My mum will be celebrating a big birthday soon and I would love nothing more than to be able to either find living relatives or a photo of someone from the family.

A woman on the council did Roberts's death cert as they couldn't find any other relative so there was no hope from that area. We have found relatives of Thomas but his family don't seem to know anything as they seem to have been a falling out when my mum was a toddler.

I do have more dates/places etc and any help or ideas would be amazing

thanks you

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Jan 2024 18:48

A tree on Ancestry (tree "owner" is lemon56 - is that you ?) lists the brother Thomas as born 13 April 1940 in Belfast, and dying in 1997 in Newcastle under Lyme.

Thomas Hamilton Lemon
in the England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916-2007
Name Thomas Hamilton Lemon
Death Age 56
Birth Date 13 Apr 1940
Registration Date Jan 1997
Registration district Stafford
Inferred County Staffordshire
Register Number S51D
District and Subdistrict 7352
Entry Number 243

Where and when was the sister Kathleen born? Are you sure that she has indeed died?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Jan 2024 21:09

Have you researched Samuel’s siblings and their offspring? If any of them are ‘around’ they may have info

1911 census

Residents of a house 67 in Ballywalter Town (Ballywalter, Down)
Lemon William 38 Male Head of Family Presbyterian
Lemon Annie 38 Female Wife Presbyterian
Lemon Wm James 11 Male Son Presbyterian
Lemon Samuel 5 Male Son Presbyterian
Lemon Anna Eliza 7 Female Daughter Presbyterian

????

Marriage of WILLIAM LEMON and ANNIE MCDOWELL
on 01 March 1895

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Jan 2024 09:05

Isn’t this him ?

Name Robert Lemon
Registration Date Jan 1956
[Feb 1956]
[Mar 1956]
Registration Quarter Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration district Manchester
Inferred County Lancashire
Spouse
Lillian Nicholson
Volume Number 10e
Page number 344

And ?

Name Robert Lemmon
Death Age 53
Birth Date 2 Dec 1935
Registration Date Jan 1989
Registration district Manchester
Inferred County Greater Manchester
Volume 38
Page 948

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Jan 2024 09:07

Looking on freebmd there two children born in 1956 and 1959

Try following uo on them

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Jan 2024 09:14

Surely, one of those children is the poster’s mother??

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 14 Jan 2024 15:14

Hi all thank you for your replies

ArgyllGran - yes I'm the tree owner, lemon 56. We have Kathleen been born in 1927, however, this date is taken from a marriage cert ( which means she was born 2 years before her parents were married) so not 100% sure. I haven't found a death cert.

ErikaH - the family you have listed is the right one. I haven't gone down the path of his sibling's children yet as I've been trying to find closer relatives. Thank you for the wedding date of William and Aniie thought as I hadn't found that one yet.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it - yes that is my mum's dad Robert. There is no real information on the death certificate as it was filled in by a woman who worked at the council. So trying to find relatives of his brother or sister or even further back who may have a photo. the two children that were born in 1956/1959 are my mum and her brother.

Thank you all for you help, the search continues

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 15 Jan 2024 12:05

Have you researched Robert's wife's family?

Often it is the females in a family, who hold on to old family photos and they might have one of his wedding?

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 20 Jan 2024 17:12

Hi, Gwyn in Kent.

Yes I have made contact with his wife's family and unfortunately, his wife seems to have quite a few husbands and let's say was not always truthful about things. There was also a fire in the house where a lot of things seemed to have been lost.

Jink20

Jink20 Report 20 Jan 2024 19:12

This may be of use to you given the Northern Ireland link

From the Public Records Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI)

"Northern Ireland historic registration records are available to search online. The records available are:
Birth records over 100 years old
Marriage records over 75 years old
Death records (including World War II death records) over 50 years old"

"You cannot find civil partnership and more recent birth, death and marriage records online however, if you want to search or view these, you can book an appointment at GRONI's Public Search Room in BELFAST or, if you know the details, you can apply online for certificates"

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 21 Jan 2024 18:03

Hi Jink20

I have found some cerfs online from Proni and ordered them. Only 3 so far but will keep looking.

Thank you for the advice