Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Hail

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 28 Mar 2007 18:20

My family has a ledgend that my 6x Great Grandfather was a Baron Wenman. The ledgend also suggests that the baron's son was written out of the family and hence the inheritence because he 'married' a Jewish woman. My family is said to be decended from that marriage. There was also said to have been property in the Fleet Street area of London. My research has shown a Richard Wenman, Baron Wenman, 5th Viscount of Tuam, who lived from 29/01/1687 to 28/11/1729. He had two sons Phillip 6th Viscount of Tuam (23/11/1719 to 16/08/1760) and Richard. The son Richard (who may have been the eldest as the older son in the family was often named Richard) was alive in 1773 as in that year he married a Jemima, widow of a Col. Caulfield. I've also found out that a Joseph Wenman (c1750 to c1800) lived and worked at 144 Fleet Street, where he was a book publisher. He had a wife Mary and a daughter Elizabeth (who married Benjamin Hodgson on 06/08/1791). My 3x Great Grandfather was a Joseph Wenman (birth registered in the parish of St Brides, Fleet Street on 18/04/1782) who's mother was named Mary. If my 3x Great Grandfather was the son of the older Joseph and he in turn was the son of Richard then the ledgend works out!! What I need is to find out anything I can about Richard Wenman the son of the 5th viscount, and anything about the family of Joseph Wenman of 144 Fleet Street. Can anyone help? Thanks John Hail

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 8 Nov 2019 01:10

Hi John,
Joseph Wenman b. c 1851-1790 Publisher and Printer of 144 Fleet St. was my direct ancestor.
I have worked long and hard on this branch, so far even though there are many trees on Ancestry who state that he was the step son of The Hon. Richard Wenman, I have come to the conclusion that this it mostly a miss reading of Richards will. To get to this point, I researched Richard Wenmans family, the Cauldfields and much more, I found out plenty about them over a course of many months, but none that came even near to proving he had a connection to Rechard. Of course this does not help me find just who Joseph Wenmans family was, and I too have wondered about the connection to the Wenmans, but so far nothing that is on record at this stage. But if you look at the various dates, for Jospeh and Richard, also his 2 wives and their names and dates, you will probably come to the same conclusion. Sorry this does not help you, but at least you may want to disprove as I have that Joseph was not the stepson of Richard, just a nme that popped up at the right time and looked promising, and may just be clouding the issue. Please get back to me if you think I can help.
Regards Sylvia in aus

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 8 Nov 2019 01:19

Hi John,
Further to my last post, sorry but Joseph married Elizabeth Pistor, not a Mary, it was she who married Benjamin Hodgeson after Josephs death in 1790. Joseph and Elizabetth's eldest child was Elizabeth. I am descended from Joseph, son of Joseph and Elizabeth.
Regards Sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Nov 2019 03:36

Sylvia .............

I'm sorry but it looks as though John has left the site.

If you click on his photo you will see that there are 0 posts credited to his name, which means he's has taken himself off.

Plus if you click on his name to send him a message, the response is that it is no longer possible to send him a message.

I'm afraid there is no way to contact him. There is no indication of his surname, so you cannot try to find him on FB or another social site.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Nov 2019 09:41

He signed as ‘John Hail’