Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Josie Garnett

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Josie

Josie Report 26 Oct 2004 20:35

I have been trying to connect with my mother's grandparents surname BURNS. Particulaarly John who is known to have lived on Achill Island around the 1800's. A family source seems to think he came from Limerick. He is thought to have been married twice, once to a Mary Kilbane (from Achill) and once to a Mary Anne O'shaughnessy. His offspring are understood to have been born on Achill Island and their names were:- John 1840, Margaret 1842, Patrick 1843, Bridget 1844, Thomas 1856, Austin , and I believe a William ? Michael ? I also think he was a teacher or reader but on some of the birth certificates he is down as a labourer. It is also believed he was church of Ireland. If anyone seems to think there could be a connection, especially with Achill Island then please get in touch. There are other names which are connected to JOHN BURNS, they are FADIAN, GREALIS. Some of JOHN BURNS sons went to Australia and America, it is unknown if they remained there or went back to Ireland