Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Michelle Adley

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michelle

Michelle Report 30 Sep 2006 22:03

hi im michelle cathrine adley looking for adleys of french decent. frank and susannah adley came from france to england their child aubrey adley was my grandfather, they were in the london area

Lee

Lee Report 24 Oct 2007 15:32

Hi, I’m unsure if we have been in contact with one another in the past? However, I enclose a Circular letter to detail my work, hope to hear from you!.

Best regards Lee

Ps I apologise if we have already made contact, I have a huge amount of mail and lose track quite easily.

The Adley Family History Project
By Lee Adley Stevens
www.adley-stevens.co.uk
Dear Sir / Madam

My name is Lee Adley Stevens.

I started researching into the Adley family history for a hobby but this soon turned into a major project. I have been researching the family name Adley with variations on the spelling for quite some years now, after the death of my grandfather, William Frederick Adley, from Gillingham Kent (1912 to 1992).

I have had an outstanding amount of help and correspondence from hundreds of people from all over the UK and abroad,
Returning me questionnaires etc, thus enabling me to build a master tree which, to date, dates back to 1650 at Hoath nr Canterbury Kent. The master tree has around 3100 + ADLEYS on it, 90% of which are from Kent. I also have many other smaller Adley family trees that I am endeavouring to fit to the Master tree thus me contacting you.

I have also collected over the years a huge amount of information on the master tree 1650 to 2004 showing what Adley’s did for a living / illness / housing / maps / taxes / etc. I also have an ongoing mammoth project, working to index all Adley with variations on the spelling Baptisms / Marriages / Burials; from all Kent parish church records. This dates from [1600 to mid 1960+] already.

My own collection of indexes also extends to a huge index of ALL Births Marriages Deaths of all Adley with variations on the spelling culled from the old St Catharine’s house London. This work took hundreds of hours to collect, it runs from 1837 to 1998 and I will be updating this in due course to 2007. There is also a large collection of wills.

However, it would seem that after some correspondence way back in 1996, the Adley tree with variations on the spelling has been researched back to around 1450 in England. This quite amazing effort was undertaken by a couple of life long friends. Their astonishing amount of dedication to produce this document has done nothing more than to inspire me to the same level, thus to eventually produce my own version as their work has become a private document.

This work was undertaken by the late Mr. William Lofts 1922 to 1997 and his very good friend, Mr. Derek John Adley (1927 to 1991). Just before Derek died, their Master tree was fully completed after 30+ years, and left to Derek’s brother.

It would be a great shame if the original Master Adley tree was to end up being lost in the passages of time. Thus I have decided to produce my own version and pass it on to any one interested. This kind of information, I believe, should be shared as its family, so to speak.

I thank you for taking the time to read this letter. If you would like to become part of this huge project and be encapsulated in time on the Master tree, please don’t hesitate to contact me and add your family branch details. I would be very grateful for your input into this ever growing mammoth project.

In return for your additional information, I am more than happy to send you a copy of your branch of the Master Adley Tree.

If and when I find a link with yourself and the master Adley tree, which I feel very sure there will be; as ALL branches of Adley, it would seem are related from William Adley of Ash 1690 to 1767, I would be more than happy to send you a copy of your branch of the tree on CD-ROM, along with a program allowing you to view the tree in a tree format on a computer for your contributions.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me, if you have any questions. Thank you.

As a matter of interest I have now totally proven that all Adley surnames with variations on the spelling are related by blood lines.

Lee Adley Stevens

Address removed

E-Mail: [email protected]

ida

ida Report 8 May 2008 09:30

Hi Lee

You contacted me a while ago and I asked you if you had any information of our branch from Ireland.
Our Great Grandfather Patrick Adley(Married to Martha nee Murphy) came to England via the army, there was a sugestion that he had family here. We would be thrilled if we could find that we had some blood relatives somewhere as we think we are the last in our line.
If you have any information at all it would be great.

Thank you
Iris Adley