Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Clara O'Donnell

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Clara

Clara Report 23 Jun 2006 14:20

I have recently been forwarded a newspaper about the Jaques Millions, it was printed in the Nuneaton Observor in 1931. Nuneaton Observor Fri May 29th 1931. Titled: The Jaques Millions - Nuneaton Jaques Family Entitled - Mr EH Rogers collection of 3000 documents. The Jacques millions is being discussed again. In Nuneaton, Bedworth and district there are dozens of claiments to a share of a fortune which is said to ammount to £30,000,000! Mr EH ROGERS of 56 queen street watlton, felixstowe, suffolk now declares that as a result of years of extensive research he is satisfied that the family of MR THOMAS JACQUES of Nuneaton are umong the rightful heirs, together with his own branch of the family. Mr Rogers claims to have collected 3000 documents which shed a good deal of light on the more obscure links of the ancestry puzzle. Fot the past 8 years he says he has been engaged in research work and has expended £3642 in planning his enquireies. 'I have been able to trace the old original Jacques family back to the year 1135 in the reighn of King Stephen and I have wills, orders of court, affidavits, writs, indentures, decrees, petitions etc besides original documentation from 1860 onwards' writes Mr Rogers. 'The old origianl jaques Family consiting of two brothers, came over from France wrapped in a sheet bearing the family crest for identification purposes. They came over on the eve of the Massacre of St Bartholomew during the French revolution. Their children married and settled in various parts of the country in leicestershire, wellingborough, finedon, raunds, wolvey, sketchley, coventry, manchester, collycroft, bedworth, bedford etc. One of the decendants was James Alchibald Jaques born in 1763 in 1763, who was a partner in a silk dyeing and weaving business and who settled in Church St Spitalfields, London and Hare Street, Bethanal Green, and they were the first silk dyers and manufacturers in England. John Jaques, son of James Achibald was a wealthy man, living at Homerton, and he kept 21 servants, entertaining the Ambassador of France among other distinguished persons. In 1843 he went back to France and died there in 1846, where his income was reputed at 16,000 per annum. Meanwhile Edward Jaques the brother of James Archibald lived in Pearl Street, Spittafields, next dooe to captain William Hamilton. In about 1796, Captain Hamilton came to a vast fortune and adopted the daughter of Edward Jaques at the age of four years, having no children of his own. In this way more money came into the Jaques family. Still more money came into the family between 1700 and 1750 when John Jaques married the daughter of a Millionaire, when the millionaire died, John Jaques was the sole heir, but could not be found, the money went to the Chancery and still remains. I hold all the facts relating to this fortune which has now accumalated to over £30,000000. There are therfore two disitinct sums of money to be claimed. THE NUNEATON CLAIM A Mr Thomas Jaques of Nuneaton spent many years and a good deal of money endeavouring to settle the claim, but he was unable to find a marriage certificate. That marriage certificate I have since found. The family still living in Nuneaton, are very keen to fight the case, and as far as I know they are prepared to spend their last farthing to finish the work commenced by their father (IS THIS WALTER AND SISTERS AND BROTHERS) By proof and papers which I have seen I honestly believe that they are among the rightful claimants. They have papers in their possession dating back to 1827. Mr Rogers bases his claim to a share in the Jaques (or Jacques) Millions on the following facts:- He is a direct descendant of Francis Jaques, born in 1770 married in 1803 at watford and died in Hadley, Herts in 1837 leaving a son Joseph Jaques born is 1804, whose son John Jaques was Mr Rogers Grandfather. Mr Rogers does not however explain the actual connection with the originator of his family line with the Jaques Millions. End of News. I understand from the sender of this that Mr Rogers befreinded this nuneaton Jaques family and took some family documents but never returned them. Apparently he also visited a family in YORKS and did the same, I am unaware as yet if these documents could be recovered, and have been kept with the family documents of Mr Rogers. There has long been a rumour in my family that we lost money to a solicitor who had claimed to have found an established link with a fortune our family had lost, however could it be that it was this that started the rumour? If you have any links please get in touch x

Valerie

Valerie Report 19 Sep 2008 22:55

I have a William Swales dob1816 married Betty Jaques dob 1816.
Married 7/12/1836.
They lived in York
Their son Benjamin Jaques Swales is my Gt GT Grandfather.
Regards Valerie Armstrong