Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Ross

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Richard(Rick)

Richard(Rick) Report 3 Mar 2005 14:06

I am trying to find my GGGGgrandfather on two sides both are Ross males but I do not know if they are related. The first being Robert Ross c1820 and the second James Ross c 1825 both emmigrated to Australia in the early 1800's, There birth dates are very rough but should be within 5-10 years. Robert was married to a Mary and James to an Ellen, I cannot find there marriage records in Australia so I presume they may have been married before coming to Australia. Robert's daughter Isabella married James's son Thomas who in turn had my GGrandmother Eliza. Anyone know of them please contact me Sydney 61299395215 or email rick. cowey at iinet. net. au or reply on this site.

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 3 Oct 2007 03:38

My ggg was Robert Ross, born in 1787 in Berwick upon Tweed, served in the Battle of Waterloo. Married Janet Smith, born 1789 in BuT. Robert was a Master Grainer, RA and Chelsea Pensioner. He died in BuT in 1867. This might be a clue for you since everyone named their children after fathers, grandfathers, on and on. Bye, Kathy Ross

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 3 Oct 2007 03:44

My ggg was Robert Ross, born in 1787 in Berwick upon Tweed, served in the Battle of Waterloo. Married Janet Smith, born 1789 in BuT. Robert was a Master Grainer, RA and Chelsea Pensioner. He died in BuT in 1867. This might be a clue for you since everyone named their children after fathers, grandfathers, on and on. Bye, Kathy Ross

David

David Report 24 Oct 2007 04:18

Hi Rick,
My g-grandfather was Robert Ross born 1825 in Alness, Ross & Cromarty, Scotland. He emigrated to South Australia and married Mary McRostie born 1833 in Comrie, Perthshire, in Adelaide in 1853. I don't know of James but several Ross families migrated about the same time, some to SA and some elsewhere in Australia.
Regards,
David Brooks