Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find gwillim

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robert

Robert Report 16 Feb 2005 23:03

Hello, Trying to find any details of my fathers family. They lived and farmed in the area around Llanthony Abbey, Monmouthshire. However, from information I have now collected it seems that some of the family may have originated from the Hereford area in the early 1800's. Two names of note being Robert Gwillim who was born in 1820, and his wife Catherine born in 1825, both were born in Herefordshire. Before 1856 they were living and farming in the Llanthony Abbey Area of Monmouthshire. These two individuals would have been my Great Great Grandparents. My grandfathers name was Edwyn Wilson Gwillim (but was known as Edward), I understand he had two brothers Robert (Bob) Gwillim who had a farm at Llanthony, and William (Bill) Gwillim. I also know there were at least two sisters Evelyn Jesse Gwillim, who married a Mr James and lived her life in Griffithstown Nr. Pontypool, and Catherine Edith Gwillim (Kitty), the elder sister. I have a marriage date for Catherine as 8th January 1919. however she died some two years later in 1921. Another branch of the family lived and farmed in the area around Cross Ash and Skenfrith. Many years ago I can also remember a cousin of my fathers he was a policeman in Pontypool. His name was Frank (John) Gwillim and he lived in Little Mill near Pontypool. If I am correct his father was Robert (Bob) Gwillim who farmed at Llanthony. Any information would be greatly appreciated, in my attempt to put together an in depth tree of this family.

Minnett

Minnett Report 23 May 2008 20:26

Hi,

i have just seen your notice re Gwillim. I have an ancestor, Ann Gwillim, who was born in Glamorgan around 1722. She married a Minnett.

I do not know, of course, if there can be a connection. The name sounds to me Welsh in origin and therefore i wonder if your family moved from Wales to Herefordshire. At the present time I do not have any other info re this ancestor's family other than the children she had.

Regards,
Myra.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Jan 2009 03:51

this is a very old thread - click on Roberrt's name to try and send a message via GR - he may still be a member

as a matter of interest I live in Cardiff and have a friend whose surname is Gwillim

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Jan 2009 11:28

well I think I actually found him on your thread - I was a bit puzzled at first but reading what you have posted now I feel sure it is him

Ann X

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Jan 2009 11:30

now I can't find that thread - did you post one looking for these people or was it someone else?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Jan 2009 11:33

found it - so someone else is after Gwillim's too!!!