Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Australian death

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 12 Jul 2007 18:00

I was wondering how i would find out about a relative that went to live in Australia and died there, all i have is a name and birth year Elizabeth Alice Worthington born 1902 at Glasson Dock registered at Lancaster...she married a Curwen possibly Richard, she is in the Lancaster Guardian as a witness at the murderer trial of Doctor Ruxton's wife and Maid in 1935, her name then was Elizabeth Curwen, so married possibly 1925, i assume she went to Australia after the Trial in 1935..Elizabeths parents were Eleanor Butler 1874 Flookburgh and John Worthington 1871 Halton Slynne Lancaster...and that's all i have i'm afraid.. hope somebody can point me in the right direction angela

Angela

Angela Report 25 Jan 2008 21:01

N

Valerie

Valerie Report 26 Jan 2008 02:41

Hi Angela, I checked for deaths in NSW/QLD/WA and SA. (no luck) -so suggest you try VIC. (someone else on GR may have access) Otherwise...... The Victoria State Library has an 'Ask Us' Librarian service (query form on-line) -they will check their records including electoral rolls (past & present). (All other State libraries have same service). ....Valerie (WA)

UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl Report 26 Jan 2008 05:54

Hi Angela,

found these on Find My Past, but the ages are wrong, try putting a request on records board or look for someone who is offering to do look ups.

CURWEN Elisabeth 27 F 1920 London India Bombay VIEW VIEW
CURWEN Eliz Ogilvy 32 F 1921 Glasgow Australia Melbourne VIEW VIEW
CURWEN Elizabeth F 1914 Liverpool Egypt Port Said VIEW VIEW
CURWEN Elizabeth 48 F 1938 Southampton Australia Melbourne VIEW VIEW
CURWEN Elizabeth Anne 44 F 1919 London Egypt Port Said VIEW VIEW

regards, Louisa

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 26 Jan 2008 06:22

Hi Angela

I have checked Vic up to 1985 with no luck sorry.

Maybe SA?

Good luck

Cherilyn

Angela

Angela Report 30 Jan 2008 17:12

Hi Cherilyn, Urban Girl and Valerie....i'm sorry i haven't thanked you for your help, i have only just got on here and seen you replies.....thankyou very much.
The family have told me that Elizabeth/Lizzie emigrated to Australia.....but i'm wondering if they got it wrong now with her not turning up - so to speak, her brother James Worthington born 1894 emigrated in 1920 and his wife Isabella and son Robert forllowed in 1921....so i thought maybe she went to find them and get away from it all after the court case ordeal was over.......a mystry!
thanks again
kind regards
angela

Angela

Angela Report 30 Jan 2008 17:16

I think James worthington settled in Banstown or around that area as i found a wedding invitation of 1945 for his son Robert marrying a Joyce mary McLeod.....took me ages to work out Bankstown was in Australia NSW

UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl Report 31 Jan 2008 00:24

Hi Angela,

found some possibilities for you, though you may have to buy a cert or two to confirm. Also noticed that there were 11 Elizabeth Alice worthingtons on the incomplete records for births post 1900 in lancashire. Are you 100% sure the married is for your elizabeth (not trying to be rude). Also was the wedding invite in with Elizabeths things?

marriage record ancestry
Richard Curwen
Elizabeth A Worthington,
Lancaster, Lancashire
Dec quarter 1923
Vol 8e page 1336

Death record Ancestry
Elizabeth Curwen
b. 9 aug 1905
D. Dec 1999, aged 94
Salford, lancashire
Reg. no. TB
Registration Entry No. 8

Depending who gave the details for Elizabeth when she died they could have put the wrong birth year. i did notice she was registered in last quarter of 1902 so she could have been born in august?

NSW marriage record
Number 1307/1945
Groom's Surname WORTHINGTON
Groom's Given Name(s) ROBERT
Bride's Last Name MCLEOD
at Time of Marriage JOYCE MARY
Bride's Given Name(s)
District BANKSTOWN

Death/Funeral notices NSW
Surname WORTHINGTON
Given Names Joyce Mary
Notice Type Death notice
Date 06AUG1998
Type Death
Age 75
Other Details late of Leumeah
Publication Published Sydney Morning Herald 08AUG1998

WORTHINGTON Joyce Mary Death notice 06AUG1998 Death 75 late of Leumeah Daily Telegraph (Sydney) 08AUG1998

WORTHINGTON Robert Death notice 07JAN2007 Death 87 late of Leumeah Daily Telegraph (Sydney) 09JAN2007

found these @
http://ryerson.arkangles.com/notices.php
you can contact the news paper and ask for copies. If you can get more details you could see if you can find a contact name and she if they remember Elizabeth.

Regards, Louisa

UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl Report 31 Jan 2008 01:08

AND
checked birth records 1923 to 1935

Birth Record, ancestry
Geoffrey Curwen
mothers maiden name, Worthington
Registered, lancaster Q2, 1927
Vol. 8e page 925

Birth Record, ancestry
Clare Curwen
mothers maiden name, Worthington
Registered, lancaster Q4, 1928
Vol. 8e page 885

death Record, ancestry
Geoffrey Curwen
Birth 28 Feb 1927
Death Registered, oct 1987
Aged 60
Registered, Swindon, Wiltshire
Vol. 23 page 2229

if you can find a marriage for either children it may have their mathor as witness, or if you can find their children they could tell you more about their nan.

Regards, Louisa

Angela

Angela Report 31 Jan 2008 18:52

This is Brilliant Louisa,
Thankyou very Much for all of this....i'm surpised to see children for Elizabeth as she was working for Doctor Ruxton in 1935 and the children would be small maybe they were at school and somebody in the family helped her....i'm more intrigued as to what happened to this woman.....the family said she emigrated to Australia..but were they right i wonder now?

Angela

Angela Report 31 Jan 2008 19:11

hi Louisa
CURWEN Elizabeth Anne 44 F 1919 London Egypt Port Said VIEW VIEW

This entry would have been perfect if it was after Elizabeth got married in 1923.... i have this post card from Lizzie dated 14th May...but the year is torn off the stamp but it looks like 44....maybe 1944? and the stamp is Port Said egyptian....on the front is the ship R.M.S otranto....more mystry

UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl Report 1 Feb 2008 06:24

hi Angela,

Found more

Marriage record
Geoffrey Curwen to Jean E Auton
1948 Q4 Exeter, Devon
Vol 7a page 918

Birth record
Jean E Auton, mothers maiden name Channon
Q1 1930 St Thomas, Devon
Vol 5b page 49

marriage record
Frederick W Auton to Ada M Channon
Q2 1925 St Thomas, Devon
Vol 5b page 154

Birth record
Robert R W Curwen, mother m n Auton
Q4 1950 Exeter, Devon
Vol 7a Page 403

marriage record
Robert R W Curwen to Patricia C Dawkins
Q2 1969 Exeter, Devon
Vol 7a page 1020

Found a son for them, will message you the details
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sandra J E Curwen MMN Anton (could be Auton?)
Q2 1952 Exeter, Devon
Vol 7a page 449

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriage record
Clara Curwen to Kenneth Holland
Q1 1948 Lancashire
Vol 10c page 1238

birth record
Keith Holland MMN Curwen
Q1 1952 Ince (cheshire?)
vol 10c page 504

looked from 1948-1955 for Holland children MMN Curwen then was too hard on the eyes

Regards, Louisa

Angela

Angela Report 4 Feb 2008 18:36

This is Brilliant Louisa!!!
I do hope that i can now tie this up to the present day.......surely somebody must know the story of their great grandmother working for the Famous Lancaster Murderer..Doctor Buck Ruxton....just hope they are a member on here!!