Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Common Name and Surname -any suggestions please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janice

Janice Report 16 Jun 2007 21:45

My grandfather's name was John Claytonb.15.08.1910 in Stalybridge Cheshire(or sometimes in Lancashire) and his father was Edward Clayton and mother Mary Elizabeth Clayton formerly Andrew and i have been able to find their marriage in 1901BUT now I am stuck because John Clayton and Mary Elizabeth are very popular names in that area. Please can anyone help? Thanks Janice

Jane

Jane Report 16 Jun 2007 21:53

what exactly is it that you want to find?

SydneyDi

SydneyDi Report 16 Jun 2007 21:58

Hi Jance You will need their marriage certificate which will give you their fathers names - you cannot do it all from the indexes. Unless you can find them in the 1901 census - were they married before or after it ? (31 Mar 1901) The marriage cert. will also give their addresses at the time, which could help with the census. Di

Jane

Jane Report 16 Jun 2007 22:02

possibility for Mary in 1891, but like Di rightly says, the marriage certificate is vital. Mary Elizabeth Andrew Age: 10 Estimated birth year: abt 1881 Relation: Daughter Mother's name: Margaret Gender: Female Where born: Ashton Under Lyme, Lancashire, England Civil parish: Dukinfield Ecclesiastical parish: St John Town: Dukinfield County/Island: Cheshire Country: England Margaret Andrew 47 Mary Elizabeth Andrew 10 Mary Jane Andrew 13 Ernest Janes Hyde 21 Harry Hyde 18 Walter Hyde 20

Janice

Janice Report 16 Jun 2007 22:04

Sorry i didn't make it clear!!!. I would like to find any of the parents of either John or Mary Elizabeth ( Andrew ) Clayton. Janice

Jane

Jane Report 16 Jun 2007 22:07

ok......... is Johns father not Edward??? or am i being blonde again, lol

Janice

Janice Report 16 Jun 2007 22:14

No Jane , you are not having a blonde moment, but i think I'm having a senior moment! To start again- I would like to find the father of Edward and Mary Elizabeth ( it gets confusing because John Married Mary(Birtles )and they called their daughter Mary Elizabeth and their son edward) It would seem that these are family names! Thanks Janice P.s Thanks Di they are listed on the BMD register as being married in Sept 1901. the address on john's birth certificate(1910) for edward and Mary is 10 Coe street Stalybridge Thanks again

Jane

Jane Report 16 Jun 2007 22:24

i know this is not what you are looking for but though you might like it, lol Births Jun 1913 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Clayton Edward MMN = Andrew Ashton 8d 1034

Jane

Jane Report 16 Jun 2007 22:27

possible for Edward in 1881 Edward Clayton Age: 2 Estimated birth year: abt 1879 Relation: Son Father's name: John Mother's name: Charlotte Gender: Male Where born: Longsight, Lancashire, England Civil parish: Dukinfield County/Island: Cheshire Country: England Street address: 37 Stanley St Education: Charlotte Clayton 30 Edward Clayton 2 John Clayton 29 John Clayton 4

Janice

Janice Report 16 Jun 2007 22:29

Thanks Jane, I think this is probably my grandfather's(John) brother who was also called Edward. Thanks also for the info re Mary Elizabeth Andrew - it is a possibility that this is her - given my family's originality for keeping names in the family - John and Mary Birtles also had a son called Walter!! I will order the marriage cert for Edward and Mary Elizabeth as you and Di suggested Thanks Janice