Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage look-up plz. 1972

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

tweedledee

tweedledee Report 4 Nov 2006 22:04

Could someone please help me to find the marriage for the following: GEOFFREY PENNINGTON b.12 APRIL 1953 St.HELENS,LANCASHIRE married abt. AUG 1972 died 13 MAY 1995 PARENTS: SAMUEL PENNINGTON/MARGARET GERRARD I know that he had an older brother ROY PENNINGTON, but can't find a thing on him.Hmmmmmmmmm!! Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Margaret x

imp

imp Report 4 Nov 2006 22:20

Hi Here is the marriage details Geoffrey Pennington, (Diane) Worth, St Helens, 10F1167 Quarter 3 1972 Regards Gail

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 4 Nov 2006 22:35

Birth Q1 1946 Pennington Frank MMN Gerrard St Helens 8b 1200

tweedledee

tweedledee Report 4 Nov 2006 22:37

Hi Gail, That was fast !!!!!! Thank you so much. Could I please impose on you to look for a death for his parents: SAMUEL PENNINGTON,MARGARET (nee Gerrard) Both ST HELENS,LANNC's Cheers, Margaretx

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 4 Nov 2006 22:43

H Margaret, deaths are like births after approx 1912, they are not on FreeBMD and have to be examined page by page on the full index. Can you give us a rough idea when they died and when they were born?

imp

imp Report 4 Nov 2006 23:11

Hi Another likely brother for Geoffrey. 3rd Quarter 1942, Douglas Pennington, MMN Gerrard, St Helens, 8b 1156. PS, sorry still no Roy. and........still no Roy but a Donald Pennington, 3rd Quarter 1937,MMN Gerrard, St Helens, 8b 1274. Regards Gail

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 4 Nov 2006 23:35

The marriage of Samuel and Margaret? Q4 1932, Pennington - Samuel, Gerrard (Margaret), Prescott, 8b 1308 If you send for this certificate it will give you their ages at time of marriage, this will aid in the death search.

tweedledee

tweedledee Report 4 Nov 2006 23:40

Thanks again Gail, The only son that I ever knew of was ROY. I found Geoffrey on the IGI I was quite surprised....but none of the others you mentioned. What is so frustrating is that the info. was turned in to the LDS by a member of the church and they won't say who it was.I know the info on there is correct because they mention Margarets parents and their marriage. I believe MARGARET GERRARD was born about 1924 in St Helens, and her mother MARY GERRARD died in 1971 in SUTTON,St HELENS. I imagine that MARGARET PENNINGTON died after that. That's about all I have.Sorry ...... How would I find out if Geoffrey and Diane had children ? Thanks again, Margaret x Ps .Sorry for taking so long in getting back to you, I had to go out for awhile.

imp

imp Report 4 Nov 2006 23:42

Found ROY 4th Quarter 1933, Roy Pennington, MMN Gerrard, Prescot, 8b 1022. (note same registration area as marriage). Regards Gail

imp

imp Report 4 Nov 2006 23:51

Hi Margaret, If the marriage above that Keith has put oni is correct, which seems very likely, now we have got Roy registered in Prescot, then Margaret Gerrard is unlikely to have been born in 1924, if she was marrying Samuel Pennington in 1932. Even if Margaret was 16 when she married she would still have had to be born 1916 at the latest. So far then there are 5 boys, Geoffrey, Frank, Douglas, Donald and Roy. There are 4 Margaret Penningtons deaths registered in St Helens between 1984 and 2004, we have not looked prior to that. Don't forget at the moment you can register with Ancestry free and search the full BMD indexes. Hope all this helps. Regards Gail.

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 4 Nov 2006 23:51

The four Margaret Pennington deaths registered 1984-2004 St Helens district. Margaret Pennington DOB 23 Mar 1922 Reg Feb 1985 62 St Helens Merseyside Margaret Pennington 3 May 1902 Dec 1990 88 St Helens Merseyside Margaret Pennington 17 Oct 1912 Jun 1992 79 St Helens Merseyside Margaret Pennington 14 Feb 1905 Feb 1993 87 St Helens Merseyside I suspect of these, Margaret b 1912 is most likely, here are the death reg details Name: Margaret Pennington Birth Date: 17 Oct 1912 Death Registration Month/Year: Jun 1992 Age at death (estimated): 79 Registration district: St Helens Inferred County: Merseyside Volume: 37 Page: 119 In so far as for looking for children of Geoffrey and Diane, once you are into the full Birth index, you will have to trawl quarter by quarter to check for Pennington births with a MMN of Worth from the year of marriage.

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 5 Nov 2006 00:03

Update to the death, found this birth Q4 1912 Gerrard Margaret, MMN Johnson, Prescot, 8b 1550. So the death above I suspected is correct.

tweedledee

tweedledee Report 5 Nov 2006 00:18

Hi Keith and Gail, I am really going to have to take some time to digest this.I am beginning to wonder if there are two Margaret Gerrards married to two Samuel Penningtons in St Helens.????? I believe the death for Margaret Pennington (nee Gerrard) for JUNE 1992 is the corrct one.According to the IGI Margaret Gerrard was born 17 OCT.1912 I wll have to send for the death cert. for Roy to check that one out. Thank you for ALL your hard work. P.S. I can't view documents on Ancestry with my 'Webtv' (computer)

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 5 Nov 2006 00:21

Samuels death? Q3 1973 Pennington, Samuel, b about 1904, Prescot, 10f 560 Edited after spotting error in typing on vol ref.

imp

imp Report 5 Nov 2006 00:25

To round it all off Mary Gerrards death:- as you said 1st Quarter, 1971, date of birth, 27th January 1884, St Helens, 10f1246. Pleased we could help, hope it all fits together eventually. Regards Gail and Keith.

Chris

Chris Report 2 Jan 2022 22:25

Hi I'm Geoffreys son. He did have 4 brothers. I know 2 are now dead, Doug and Don, Roy lived in Leicester in the mid 90's and Frank emigrated to Austrailia in
the 70's.

Kind Regards, Chris

greyghost

greyghost Report 2 Jan 2022 22:31

Welcome to the boards Chris. Tweedledee aka Margaret is probably not looking for replied 16 years after she posted.

Try clicking on her name to send a Private message - if she still has the same email that she registered with Genes they can let her know there is a message in the system for her. However Genes never delete accounts themselves so after all this time be prepared that there may not be an answer from her.

You can see if your message has been opened by looking at your sent messages. There's a green envelope icon - closed and message not opened, open and it has been.