Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I am visiting the National Library of Australia **

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dan

Dan Report 10 Feb 2006 23:48

I shall be visiting the NLA early next week and will have a couple of hours to do some research for others, though must warn I am still bit of a novice at this so shall do my best but no promises on success in all cases! Please provide as much information as possible, ie Full Name, approx year of BDM, Parents/Spouses name, and the INDEX you want me to search etc. NO PM's please. If I run out of time next week, I shall return the following. Thankyou Danielle The indexes I can search are: NEW SOUTH WALES - Pioneers Index 1889-1918 BDM and 1788-1888 BDM QUEENSLAND - Pioneers Index 1829-1889 BDM Federation Index 1890-1914 (I can also search the micofiche for deaths in QLD up to 1954, but I need a full name (at time of death) and it narrowed down to a couple of years) SOUTH AUSTRALIA - Birth registrations 1842 - 1928 Death ' ' 1842 - 1915 Marriage ' ' 1842 - 1937 TASMANIA - Pioneers Index 1803 - 1899 BDM VICTORIA - Pioneers Index 1837 - 1888 BDM Federation Index 1889 - 1901 BDM Edwardian Index 1902 - 1913 BDM Great War Index 1914 - 1920 BDM

Dan

Dan Report 11 Feb 2006 05:51

Hi Rona Will do. Are you able to tell me what Joseph and Mary's parents names were (Mary's maiden name?), as that will help identify them in the death index, which will tell only the state they died and the date adn the ref number for ordering the cert. Danielle

Antony

Antony Report 11 Feb 2006 08:46

Hi Danielle. Wonder if you can see if you can find info on the following family that moved to Australia prior to 1920 possibly NSW. Details are: Frederick Curtis (head) 1858 Kensington, London. Lucy Curtis (nee Giffen) 1859 Hertfordshire, Frederick Curtis (son) 1890, Wood Green, London, Harold Arthur Curtis (son) 1896 Wood Green, London. I have a record of Harold marrying Evelyn May Judd 1898 Rockdale, NSW in 1920 at the Methodist Church of St. Peter, Rockdale, NSW, so assume the family emigrated to this state. Any info that you may find greatly appreciated, but I am looking for the shipping info when, name etc. Thanks - Tony

Dan

Dan Report 11 Feb 2006 21:48

nudge - any more takers? Danielle x

Susan

Susan Report 11 Feb 2006 21:57

Hi Not sure if you'd be able to help with this one but if you have any spare time, I'd really appreciate help with finding the death ref. for my gt-grandfather, Walter James Patterson. He was born Goulburn NSW on 21 September 1851, but is likely to have died in Queensland. Last known whereabouts was Maryborough, Queensland in 1918 when he would have been approx. 67yrs. I have already checked the NSW BDM and found no trace. His parents were David and Thirza Patterson (mother's maiden name Rex). Regards. Su

Bill

Bill Report 12 Feb 2006 04:16

Here's some NSW BDM records for Harold Curtis... Marriage in 1920 in the St Peters Registration district : 18267/1920 CURTIS HAROLD A JUDD EVELYN M ST PETERS (Note in this case 'St Peters' refers to the name of a suburban area, not a specific church. The suburb of St Peters is severals station north from Rockdale, so its a bit unlikely that a marriage registered in the St Peters registration district actually occured in a Church at Rockdale, which has its own registration district) Death in 1971, in the Bankstown Registration district: 59807/1971 CURTIS HAROLD ARTHUR FREDERICK LUCY BANKSTOWN Here's the 1897 birth index for Evelyn, in the Rockdale Registration distric: 35072/1897 JUDD EVELYN M JAMES LUCY ROCKDALE And this is quite probably an 1982 death notice index entry for her from the Ryerson Index: CURTIS, Evelyn May 07 MAR 1982 Death at Canberra 13 MAR 1982 Sydney Morning Herald Here's the 1926 death index for Frederick Curtis (II) in the Marrickville registration district: 12763/1926 CURTIS FREDERICK G FREDERICK LUCY MARRICKVILLE Cheers, Bill

Dan

Dan Report 12 Feb 2006 04:20

Thanks Bill I PM'd Tony yesterday as I found the same info regarding the Curtis's from the NSW registry, as I dont think I can help him with QLD passenger lists post 1896. All the best Danielle

Elise

Elise Report 12 Feb 2006 07:56

Hi Danielle I was wondering if you would be able to have a look for any records relating to Lawrence's who lived in New South Wales from 1860 to 1940. I know this is a large task, but I will try to give you some information: Births: David Lawrence circa 1866 Albury, New South Wales Agnes Houston Lawrence circa 1868 Forbes, NEw South Wales James Stephen Lawrence circa 1870 Bilabong, New South Wales Isabelle Lawrence circa 1872 Grenfell, New South Wales William Lawrence circa 1874 Grenfell, New South Wales Fannie Emmaline Jackson circa 1870 - possibly New South Wales Leslie Laurence (male) circa 1891 Nymagee, New South Wales Florence A Laurence circa 1893 Parkes, New South Wales Teresa Laurence date unknown, New South Wales Deaths: David Lawrence circa 1867 New South Wales Agnes Houston Lawrence circa 1869 Forbes, New South Wales James Stephen Lawrence date unknown Isabelle Lawrence circa 1872 Grenfell, New South Wales William Lawrence circa 1874 Grenfell, New South Wales Florence A Laurence circa 1901 West Wylalong, New South Wales I hope that I am not asking too much of you with the above. Any information that you can get about the above would be greatly appreciated. Elise

Dan

Dan Report 12 Feb 2006 10:10

Hi Ann Not sure I can be of much use I'm afraid. I just checked the NSW registry of BDM which you can also search online at www(.)bdm(.)nsw(.)gov(.)au/familyHistory/searchHistoricalRecords(.)htm First I checked the NSW death records for Makim and these are all the listings (year, surname, first name, fathers first name, mothers first name, district) 1967 MAKIM VERA MAY JOHN LOUISA INVERELL 1969 MAKIM SARAH ROBERT PHILLIPA WARIALDA 1953 MAKIM JOHN JOHN MARGARET WARIALDA 1969 MAKIM KENNETH ROSS WALLACE ROSS ELIZABETH ANNE MOREE 1926 MAKIM WILLIAM A JOHN MARGARET PADDINGTON 1927 MAKIM MARGARET JOHN MARGARET INVERELL 1927 MAKIM JOHN JOHN JANE INVERELL 1974 MAKIM GEORGE SCANLEN JOHN MARGARET 1970 MAKIM CHARLOTTE CATHERINE WILLIAM THOMAS CHRISTINA MOREE 1970 MAKIM RICHARD WOODS JOHN MARGARET MOREE 1970 MAKIM FREDERICK WINSLOW JOHN MARGARET INVERELL Births only go upto 1905 so not relevant to your query. MAKIM marriages (upto 1955 only): 1941 MAKIM FREDERICK MORGAN HAIG, BROOKS MADELINE BERYL SYDNEY 1941 MAKIM ROBERT RAFFIN PATRICIA AILEEN NORTH SYDNEY 1943 MAKIM ALEXANDER SCOTT GENE PATRICIA TAMWORTH 1946 MAKIM ALAN FREDERICK JOHNSTONE FLORENCE MARY INVERELL 1948 MAKIM RICHARD GEORGE DAVIDSON JEAN HELEN TAMWORTH 1949 MAKIM WALLACE ROSS CARTER MARCIA MURIEL MOREE The only other thing I can suggest is going to our online directory at www(.)whitepages(.)com(.)au There are only 6 MAKIM listings in Metropolitan NSW and 20 in Regional. Moree seems to be the most common district for the surname MAKIM so I would probably start there first. There is a W .R. MAKIM still living in Moree, who's marriage may be the one above. Sorry I couldnt help more. Danielle

Dan

Dan Report 12 Feb 2006 10:44

Ann What are the 3 sons names? That will help identify them. The phone book is online at www.whitepages.com.au Do you know what Eliza's parents first names were, as that is the only additional thing I can search with. As I have already listed all the Makim death and marriages that are listed in the index, I dont hold out much hope of finding any more out. But if you can let me know the sons names I shall take another look. Danielle

Sarah

Sarah Report 12 Feb 2006 11:43

Hi Danielle, Thanks for your kind offer. I wonder if you could look in the Tasmanian Pioneer's Index for a birth please. Martha Holloway b~1838 (approx date from marriage in Victoria) in Hobart to John Holloway and Ann (nee Orchard) Not quite sure what information is contained in the Pioneer's index, but any information such as a more exact date to get a certificate for info on the parents would be welcome. Thanks a lot. Sarah

Dan

Dan Report 13 Feb 2006 03:15

Hi Rona Jerusalem Bounty Immigrants Joseph Owen age 27 Mary Owen age 26 Martha Owen age 2 Mary Owen age 2 Norah Owen age under 1 No name female infant born on voyage age under 1 To check for the deaths of Joseph and Mary I need to know their parents names I also found the following not sure if they are yours: Elizabeth Una Owen married Royden Russell Royden 14-5-1914 Daisy Owen married William John Smith 27-10-1910 Lizzie Owen b. 22-9-1883 Father Joseph Mother Mary OFlynn Evelynn Owen b. 12-9-1885 F. Joseph Dodson M. Mary OFlynn Joseph Henry Owen b. 20-4-1887 F. Joseph Dodson M. Mary OFlynn If you can let me know Mary and Joseph's parents names I shall check for their death records and if the above children are also theirs I shall for Marriage and Death records for them also. Danielle

Dan

Dan Report 13 Feb 2006 03:25

Hi Su I checked the QLD death index from 1918 to 1949 for Walter Patterson, and no matches I'm afraid, I even checked under Pattison and Paterson. I did however find this death record in NSW- Reg-2098 Year 1974 PATTERSON WALTER JAMES Father WALTER REX Mother ADA JANE - is this the son of your Walter James? Also NSW Reg-18857 Year 1949 PATTERSON JOHN MATSON Father DAVID Mother THIRZA District CANTERBURY And I found 8 children born to David and Thirza (William, Walter, Henry, Thirza, John, Alice, Hugh and no name female) These can be found on www.bdm.nsw.gov.au under famisly history and historical index search. I can check the other states for your Walter next time I go to the NLA if you would like? Danielle

Dan

Dan Report 13 Feb 2006 03:35

Hi Elise Like yourself I can only provide year of birth as the index does not show the full date, some of the NSW indexes can be searched online at www(.)bdm(.)nsw(.)gov(.)au under family history and then historical index search (found 2 possible Fanny Emmeline Jackson's): Birth 4672/1866 LAWRENCE DAVID Parents STEPHEN AGNES District ALBURY Birth 8928/1874 LAWRENCE WILLIAM Parents STEPHEN AGNES District GRENFELL Birth 7112/1870 LAWRENCE JAMES S STEPHEN AGNES District BINALONG Birth 7297/1872 LAWRENCE ISABELLA Parents STEPHEN AGNES District GRENFELL Birth 8694/1873 LAWRENCE ELIZA JANE Parents STEPHEN AGNES District GRENFELL Birth 11358/1891 LAURENCE LESLIE Parents JAMES S FANNY District NYMAGEE Death 10599/1898 LAURENCE TERESA Parents JAMES FANNY District NEWTOWN Death 26736/1891 LAURENCE LESLIE Parents JAMES S FANNY District NYMAGEE Death 28618/1893 LAURENCE FLORENCE A Parents JAMES FANNY District PARKES Birth 9536/1868 JACKSON EMMELINE Parents WILLIAM R MATILDA E District GOULBURN Birth 20041/1871 JACKSON FANNY E Parents RICHARD ANN District YOUNG Death 3300/1872 LAWRENCE ISABELLA Parents STEPHEN AGNES District GRENFELL Death4279/1874 LAWRENCE WILLIAM Parents STEPHEN AGNES District GRENFELL Death5744/1930 LAWRENCE THOMAS W Parents STEPHEN AGNES District GRANVILLE Death17014/1940 LAWRENCE ROBERT Parents STEPHEN AGNES District MOLONG Death1926/1939 LAWRENCE JOHN STUART Parents STEPHEN AGNES District GRANVILLE

Dan

Dan Report 13 Feb 2006 03:38

Hi Ann I did a search under the parents names and no matches I'm afraid. If I were you the step I would take would be to write to some of the Makim's in regional NSW as shown in our White Pages directory. Good luck in your search Danielle

Dan

Dan Report 13 Feb 2006 03:40

Hi Sarah Couldnt find any birth record for Martha Holloway anywhere in the index. I searched under different spellings and even any Holloway's born to a John and Ann and no matches. I can check the other States next time I visit the NLA if you would like, however her birth may not have been registered as I am not sure but I recall hearing that they didnt have to be until about the 1860's. Danielle

Sarah

Sarah Report 13 Feb 2006 04:20

Hi Danielle, Thanks for looking anyway. Don't worry about checking the other states. I think she would have been most likely in Tasmania. Thanks again. Sarah