Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1950 electoral roll, Scarborough

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TB

TB Report 4 Jan 2006 08:41

Can anyone please look up the 1950 electoral roll for Scarborough. I am looking for the occupants of 8 Globe St, Scarborough at this time. My Gt Grandfather's death cert revealed this address and the name E M Cammish as his daughter and informant of his death, so I would like to know what the EM stands for and who else was with her. Thank you. Trixie

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Jan 2006 10:00

Is Cammish HIS surname or is cammish the married name of his daughter ? What are his details please ? I haven't got access to E Rolls but I may be able to find the daughter for you. Have you got HIS birth details / certificate ... or his marriage cert etc ? Elaine ;-)

TB

TB Report 4 Jan 2006 12:01

Hi, My Grandmother was/is Phoebe Elizabeth Holmes, she is who i'm eventually hoping to find more about. I had her living with her Father in 1948 in Lincoln during the adoption of her children. Her Father was Arthur George Holmes, a skipper. I have his death cert naming EM Cammish as his daughter, I was hoping it would be Phoebe. I have Phoebe's marriage cert to a Walter Davies (not the father of the children put up for adoption), this names Arthur George Holmes as Father. I have tried to find Phoebe's birth, according to her marriage cert she would be born around 1912. E M Cammish, I hope will turn out to be Eliza Maria Holmes who married Robert D Cammish in Norfolk. Eliza Maria born 1900 in Norfolk, on 1901 census she is with her Mother and her father Arthur George Holmes is on a boat. It all seems to fit but have I got it right! I have spent a fortune on 1837 but now am at a standstill. Is EM Cammish Eliza Maria? If so she has died but if I could find out who else was with her maybe one day i'll find someone alive to tell me something about what happened to my Grandmother Phoebe after 1948. It's not a staightforward family and gets confusing. Trixie

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Jan 2006 12:39

Trixie, Your family is no more confusing than anyone's else's babe, so don't think your on your own ! It looks to me, that you have found who E M is ... it's pretty obvious when you write all the info down like you have. Elaine ;-) Here are two entries for Pheobe Holmes ..... but neither have Elizabeth as middle name. It's not unusual for people to 'add' names at some stage. 1 Holmes Phoebe (King) Pontefract.9c 244 Birth 1 1916 2 Holmes Phoebe (Perry) Pontefract.9c 313 Birth 1 1912 (Mothers Maiden Name)

TB

TB Report 4 Jan 2006 12:47

Hi Elaine, Thanks for taking the time to look at this. Another reason I would like the names of the Electoral roll is because EM married Robert D Cammish. The only Robert D born in the timescale was Robert Duncanson Cammish. I was so pleased as someone on this site has him in their tree, but no! he died during the war before the marriage took place. He is also on the War graves site Argg!! Never mind, i'll get there in the end. Looks like another cert to be sent for. Trixie If i'm right, mother's maiden name is Gallant. There is an Elizabeth P born 1913 in Norfolk with right mother's name. Maybe the name is switched round! The problem is that Arthur and his brother both married Gallants so not sure which children belong to which after 1901.

Jools

Jools Report 6 Jan 2006 17:38

Trixie, I was in Scarborough library today, so I had a good dig round for your people at 8 Globe Street. Remember there wasn't an electoral register during WW2. The dates I've put are the 'qualifying dates' - ie who was at an address on that date. Not sure how you're going to work out which EM you want, but good luck. The surname is always CAMMISH unless I have added another one (which will be in capitals). The address is always Globe St, but not always the same number. The soonest I can find them in Globe Street is 1938. 15/10/1938 Samuel Allan CAMMISH and Elvia Maria CAMMISH at no 8. 15/10/1939 ditto above 30/6/1945 Samuel Allan, Elvia Maria, Samuel A and Phoebe DAVIS at no 8. 30/6/1946 Samuel Allan, Elvia Maria and Samuel A at no 8 30/6/1947 Samuel Allan, Elvia Maria, Samuel A and Robert D at no 8 30/6/1948 Samuel Allan, Elvia Maria, Robert D and Phoebe COOK at no 8 10/6/1949 Eliza Maria, Elvia Maria, Robert D and Samuel Allan at no 8 20/11/1951 Eliza Maria and Samuel Allan at no 8 20/11/1952 Ditto 10/10/1954 Ditto 10/10/1955 Ditto 10/10/1957 Eliza Maria, Samuel Allan and Mary Rose (who was eligible to vote after 1/10/1958) now at no 6 10/10/1958 Eliza Maria, Samuel Allan and Mary Rose at no 6 10/10/1959 Eliza Maria, Samuel Allan and Mary Rose DOLAN at no 6 10/10/1960 to 10/10/1969 Eliza Maria and Samuel Allan at no 6 10/10/1970 to 10/10/1975 Eliza Maria at no 6 (I presume Samuel Allan has died) 10/10/1976 to 10/10/1991 Eliza Maria at no 10 10/10/1992 onwards No mention of Eliza on Globe Street (I presume she has moved or died). Jools

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Jan 2006 17:51

Further to Jools's wonderful work................ Name: Eliza Maria Cammish Death Year: [1992] Age: 92 Birth Date: 18 Mar 1900 Death Registration Month/Year: Jul 1992 Registration District: Scarborough Inferred County: North Yorkshire Inferred Country: England Reg

TB

TB Report 6 Jan 2006 18:25

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. Now I'm confused. Robert D is Eliza Maria's hubby. Phoebe Davis (nee Holmes) is my Grandmother, she married a Walter Davies. Phoebe Cook is the same although she never did marry the Cook and was still a Davis. She seems to be living more with Robert D than Eliza did! Argh!!! More names to work on though. Now to find out where they all fit in. Thank you so much, Maybe I will break this wall down in the end. Trixie

Jools

Jools Report 6 Jan 2006 23:13

Trixie - a thought has just occurred to me (this could be dangerous!!, I must be more careful) You say 'EM married Robert D Cammish. The only Robert D born in the timescale was Robert Duncanson Cammish ...............he died during the war before the marriage took place. He is also on the War graves site ' And the CWG site record says Name: CAMMISH, ROBERT DUNCANSON Initials: R D Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Deck Hand Regiment: Mercantile Marine Unit Text: Steam Trawler 'Condor' (Scarborough) Age: 20 Date of Death: 29/05/1915 Additional information: Son of Robert Duncanson Cammish and Mary Jane Cammish, of 30, Sandside, Scarborough. I'm having trouble squaring the above death with your statement. Are you SURE that you have got the correct RD CAMMISH marrying the correct EM?? There are an awful lot of Cammish's living at the bottom end of town. The RD Cammish who was killed in 1915 was Samuel Allan Cammish's brother. This is the family on the 1901 census, living at 21 Quay St (which is very near to Globe St). Ancestry has mistranscribed the surname (how not very surprising) Mary J Cammish 31 Scarborough, Wife Robert Cammish 31 Scarborough, Head, Fisherman Harry R Camnish 9 Scarborough, Son Margaret L Camnish 2 Scarborough, Daughter Robert D Camnish 7 Scarborough, Son Samuel A Camnish 11 Scarborough, Son Jools

TB

TB Report 6 Jan 2006 23:39

Hi Jools, I'm going round in circles on this one. This is what I have so far. My Dad's mum was Phoebe Holmes. She married Walter Davis. She then took on the name Cooke, she didn't marry him but had twins (my dad and aunt) The twins were adopted. The adoption papers have her adress, she was with her father Arthur George Holmes in Lincoln at the time. Arthur died in 1950 so I sent for his cert to see if Phoebe was the informant but it was E M Cammish, daughter. I searched for an E M Holmes marrying a Cammish and came up with: Holmes Eliza M Cammish Yarmouth.4b 9 Marriage 3 1919 Cammish Robert D Holmes Yarmouth.4b 9 Marriage 3 1919 Phoebe and Eliza are both born Norfolk. To confirm this is the correct marriage I asked for the look up for Globe St as this was E M Cammish's address on Arthur's death cert. It all seems to fit perfectly except for the Robert D. I have seen what you posted which is why I was hoping Robert would have what the 'D' is for. To make matters worse I have been through the 1901 census again and found that Robert Duncanson Cammish had a brother called Samuel Allan Cammish. Help!!!! Thanks for all your help on this. Trixie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Jan 2006 23:44

This is likely to be the birth reg'n of the person whose death I posted......... Name: Holmes, Eliza Maria Record Type: Births Quarter: June Year: 1900 District: Smallburgh County: Norfolk Volume: 4b Page: 45 And on the 1901 census (Potter Heigham is in Smallburgh district) Eliza Holmes abt 1900 Potter Heigham, Norfolk, England Daughter Burgh St Margaret Norfolk View Record Elizabeth Holmes abt 1878 Gt Ormesby, Norfolk, England Wife Burgh St Margaret Norfolk No sign of the husband/father.......... Reg

TB

TB Report 6 Jan 2006 23:50

Hi Reg, The birth and death you found are the ones I have. All seems to fit together but an odd set up through the years. All the right names but not together when expected, and who on earth is this Robert D! I'm think i'm going mad! Thanks. Trixie The father is Arthur George, he is on a boat at the time(1901)

Jools

Jools Report 6 Jan 2006 23:52

I just KNEW it was going to be confusing when I saw the electoral records. There are 2 E M Cammish's. Elvia Maria (who I would guess could be the wife of Samuel Allan) and Eliza Maria (who could be their daughter). I think you need to get a copy of that 1919 marriage certificate before you get any further down this large hole :)) I'd like to know who the Samuel A Cammish is that suddenly appears on the electoral role for 30/6/1945-30/6/1947. And the Robert D who appears for 30/6/1947-10/6/1949.

TB

TB Report 7 Jan 2006 00:02

Getting silly now! Robert Duncanson and Samuel Allen's father was also a Robert Duncanson. Did she marry him, perhaps she liked the older man!

Jools

Jools Report 7 Jan 2006 00:06

It's possible. I think that 1919 marriage certificate is an absolute necessity. Jools

TB

TB Report 7 Jan 2006 00:15

Hi Jools, I agree, i'll send for it Monday. Now I know there was definately an Eliza Maria at that address I have got to do something. I spent 2 years back and for to Hereford tracing my Grandfather (Cooke) and eventually found a living person who sent me photos and told me some history, still more to find but how do you find a boy Cooke born in Yorkshire sometime around 1927! I think I have exhausted that line but at least I found something. I have been looking for Phoebe just as long but Yorkshire and Lincoln is just to far to travel. Thanks for your help. Already can't wait for the cert. Trixie