Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CONEY FAMILY IN FULHAM & MAIDENHEAD,BERKS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Just

Just Report 16 Dec 2005 06:33

If any one is going to the Hammersmith & Fulham London Borough Archives & Local History Centre at The Lilla Husset, 191 Talgarth Road, London, W6 8BJ and has any spare time to do any searches I'm looking for any connections with the Coney family name and a property called '302 Fulham Palace Road, London, SW6 6HR. My mother was born in the property in 1935 but we don't know who owned the house/building or if other family members lived in Fulham at the time. My mother was adopted soon after birth. There are also links with Maidenhead in 1935 I don't know what archives exist for that region but if any one is going to either Fulham's archives or the ones for Maidenhead, Berks and has a few spare minutes to look up the name Coney on any register it would be appreciated. Please can you let me know if you have been able to look for me and in which registers, even if there was no success in finding any Coney names. Thank you in advance for you time and patience. Regards Claire

The Bag

The Bag Report 16 Dec 2005 07:05

what exactly are you looking for ? Just info about the house - wondering if it was a mother and baby home or something i guess. Does your mother have her birth cert?

Just

Just Report 16 Dec 2005 21:00

Hi Jesss, Just found out today that 302 Fulham Palace Road was called the 'South Western Maternity Home and Nursing Institution and it closed in 1939. So at least I know now not to try tracing the name Coney at this address in Fulham, though there was a Katherine H Coney in 1901 at 6 St. Dunstan's Road, W6 that could be a relative. This news that came in today sort of changes the focus from Fulham to Maidenhead,Berks and also Peckham, Camberwell and Greenwich/Shoreditch areas of London. I'll try looking the nursing institution name up on the internet though to see if I can find any info about the place. My mum's birth name was Ada Coney. I'm more interested now in following up the Coney name in the Maidenhead, Berks census records to see which other Coney family members existed. I've not been to Berkshire and I'm not sure where their archives are kept. The address that the birth mother was living at was called 'Inglenook, Lockmead (but Lock Mead is now spelt as 2 words according to the Post Office website), Maidenhead. Inglenook does not exist any more in Lock Mead but the PO website does say no. 7 is Inglenook. I had thought of sending an SAE to the current owners to see if they may know something of the history of the house and the Coney family, at a long shot! Ada Mary Coney, the birth mother was a hotel maid, so the Maidenhead address could have been a hotel perhaps and not her real home? I'd love to be able to access the Maidenhead archives to see what references they have to Coney family members in the past. Any ideas how to go about it or if anyone has access to their records and is able to do lookups for free? Before the Maidenhead District records existed I think they were listed as 'Cookham,' but that district appears to have been abolished on 1/1/1896 according to 'Helen Little Nell ptfg' on another thread on 26/1/05. There was a lady called 'Ada Mary Coney' who married on 8/8/1937, who could be my mum's mum as she has the same name. The marriage took place in Peckham, in the borough of Camberwell. I have sent off for that lady's birth certificate this week, she was born in 1914, and i'm hoping it shows a link to Maidenhead, Berks! That birth was registered in Greenwich though and her brother and sister were regsitered in Shoreditch and Greenwich, so it still leaves me looking for links in several areas at the moment, I'm afraid. Thanks for any advice you can give. Kind regards Claire p.s. I forgot to say we have a copy of the entry of my mother's birth in the register for Fulham West, but not an original birth certificate or adoption certificate. Though I have ordered a copy of the adoption certficate from the ONS that may hopefully arrive before Christmas, which may give me a bit more info to go on.

cambridgelass

cambridgelass Report 16 Dec 2005 22:35

Hi there My guess would be that your grandmother was just working in the Maidenhead area but actually came from the fulham area. The rail link would have made it easy for her to take up a position there. If you know the name of the road that Inglenook is in now , I don't live too far away from maidenhead and could see if I could sus out the house for you if that's any help. Sarah

Just

Just Report 17 Dec 2005 08:46

Hi Sarah, Forgot to say that my brother thinks 'Inglenook, Lockmead, Maidenhead' is now house no. 7 Lock Mead, Maidenhead, Berks SL6 8HF and that they probably don't use the house name 'Inglenook' any more even though the Post Office website lists it as being at no. 7. The road is Lock Mead. Many thanks Claire

Paul

Paul Report 17 Dec 2005 09:21

hi claire there is this marriage on ancestry CONEY, Emily Jane 1907 June Marriages Maidenhead Berkshire ROBINS, Mabel 1907 June Marriages Maidenhead Berkshire WINCH, Alfred George 1907 June Marriages Maidenhead Berkshire is she related do you think ? 1871 census H M Coney abt 1836 Bath, Somerset, England Head Maidenhead Berkshire unmarried occ. annuitant E Beeney abt 1820 Waltham Lee Wellows, Suffolk, England Servant Maidenhead Berkshire W Broughton abt 1850 Stamford, Lincolnshire, England Servant Maidenhead Berkshire H Brown abt 1822 Bright Waltham, Berkshire, England Servant Maidenhead Berkshire I Lucas abt 1807 North Cadbury, Somerset, England Servant Maidenhead Berkshire T Whitcher abt 1799 Christchurch, Huntingdonshire, England Servant Maidenhead Berkshire address is 'castle hill', maidenhead

Paul

Paul Report 17 Dec 2005 09:50

also from ancestry Coney, Constance Ethel 1892 September Marriages Cookham Berkshire Coney, Edith Mabel 1894 September Marriages Cookham Berkshire Coney, Eliza Alunro 1858 March Deaths Cookham Berkshire Coney, Helen Mary 1886 June Deaths Cookham Berkshire Coney, Walter John 1888 March Deaths Cookham Berkshire --------------------------------------------------------------------------- from 1881 census Charles B. Coney abt 1818 Cookham, Berkshire, England Head The Rectory, Borough Green, Cambridgeshire, England Harriet Coney abt 1825 Scotland Wife The Rectory, Borough Green, Cambridgeshire, England Evilyn Lamont abt 1849 Scotland Step Daughter The Rectory, Borough Green, Cambridgeshire, England Elizabeth Duncan abt 1849 Scotland Unknown The Rectory, Borough Green, Cambridgeshire, England Susan Elsden abt 1868 B Green, Cambridgeshire, England Servant The Rectory, Borough Green, Cambridgeshire, England Diana Green abt 1854 Christon, Devon, England Servant The Rectory, Borough Green, Cambridgeshire, England Emma Holts abt 1858 Br...ton Servant The Rectory, Borough Green, Cambridgeshire, England Betsey Challis abt 1862 B Green, Cambridgeshire, England Servant The Rectory, Borough Green, Cambridgeshire, England Charles Coney was the rector of Borough Green ---------------------------------------------------------------- in 1891 he is living in Sandown, Brading, Isle of Wight with wife Harriet, stepdaughter Evilyn and servants ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- in 1861 Charles B Coney abt 1818 Barks, Cookham Head Gloucester St Michael Gloucestershire Rector of St 'Aldgate'? Lucy B Coney abt 1859 Gloucester, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Gloucester St Michael Gloucestershire Rebecca Gillnam abt 1834 Doret, Dorset, England Servant Gloucester St Michael Gloucestershire Mary A Graston abt 1813 Hoston, Middlesex, England Servant Gloucester St Michael Gloucestershire Elizabeth Ore abt 1834 Syston, Gloucestershire, England Servant Gloucester St Michael Gloucestershire address 4 Barton Street ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ in 1851 he's unmarried, living alone at 13 Old Cavendish Street, Marylebone, London, curate of All Souls, Marylebone -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just

Just Report 17 Dec 2005 10:49

Paul, Thank you so much for all your help. I'll work through the names tonight and see what we have. Thanks so much for giving up your time. Claire

Helen in Berkshire

Helen in Berkshire Report 17 Dec 2005 11:00

Hi Claire I live in Maidenhead, and Lock Mead is near the River Thames in the Boulter's Lock area. The county record office covering Maidenhead is in Reading. However, the Local Studies Library in Maidenhead has Post Office Directories and other information eg. census, although 1935 is too late for those. I am willing to go and have a look at possibilities for you, Claire - however, I'm not sure when I can make it at the moment due to the Christmas rush! Helen