Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dover, Kent records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 23 Oct 2005 15:06

Arternoon, all. I'm trying to find, through either the birth certificate or marriage certificate, the parents of Thomas Finnis, but can find no record of either. He was born c1829 in East Langdon, Kent and married Mary Jane Sharp (b c1844) in the Dover area, c1860 +/- 3years. If anyone has access to the appropriate records, I'd be hugely grateful for any information. One other question: why on EARTH did I start this?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Oct 2005 15:12

From the IGI.....although the wife's first name doesn't tally Thomas Finnis Male Event(s): Birth: 1829 Of, Dover, Kent, England Father: Thomas Finnis Spouse: Louisa Jane Sharp Marriage: 24 APR 1860 Dover, Kent, England You won't get certs for any 'events' before 1837. The only info will be Parish Records. You could try posting a request on one of the threads offering BIVRI lookups. Rose

John

John Report 23 Oct 2005 15:41

Very many thanks to you, Rose. I have come across this record before, but I'm looking for Mary Ann rather than Louisa Jane Sharp. Astoundingly similar, though.

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Oct 2005 15:47

Mary Anne or Mary Jane? nell

John

John Report 23 Oct 2005 16:02

Nell, She's down on the 1881 census as Mary Ann, but since I'm having such trouble finding any other reference to her, I'm beginning to wonder if there's a transcription issue somewhere along the line. Many thanks John

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon)

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 23 Oct 2005 16:09

John 1861 Elizabeth J Finnie abt 1861 Dover, Kent, England Daughter Dover St Mary Kent View Record Jane A B Finnie abt 1856 Dover, Kent, England Daughter Dover St Mary Kent View Record Louisa J Finnie abt 1831 Dover, Kent, England Wife Dover St Mary Kent View Record Thomas Finnie abt 1829 East Langdon, Kent, England Head Dover St Mary Kent View Record Emily J Hayward abt 1844 Dover, Kent, England Servant Dover St Mary Kent View Record Emma H E Pay abt 1860 Dover, Kent, England Daughter-in-law Dover St Mary Kent View Record Louisa J Pay abt 1858 Southampton, Hampshire, England Daughter-in-law Dover St Mary Kent Angela

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 23 Oct 2005 16:18

1861 probably wrong, just the Louisa J caught my eye. Is this them in 1871? Emma S Finnis abt 1870 Broadstairs, Kent, England Daughter St Peter the Apostle Kent View Record Mary Ann Finnis abt 1843 Dover Wife St Peter the Apostle Kent View Record Thomas Finnis abt 1830 East Langeton, Kent, England Head St Peter the Apostle Kent View Record Thomas R H Finnis abt 1863 Dover Nephew St Peter the Apostle Kent Angela

John

John Report 23 Oct 2005 16:22

Angela, There's a very interesting one in there - the Thomas Finnie. Everything seems to match other than the exact spelling of the surname. Maybe that's why I couldn't find him. I take it that's from the 1861 census? As for the 1871 census, yes that's them! Many thanks, John

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 23 Oct 2005 16:25

Found this on Free BMD Marriages Jun 1870 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Finnis Thomas Eastry 2a 1159 Pain Mary Ann Eastry 2a 1159 Sharp John Eastry 2a 1159 Sharp Mary Ann Eastry 2a 1159 Angela Eastry Created 1st July 1837. Sub-districts : Deal; Eythorn; Sandwich; Wingham. GRO volumes : V (1837-51); 2a (1852-1930). Ash, Barfreston, Betteshanger, Chillenden, Deal, Eastry, Elmstone, Eythorne, Goodnestone, Great Mongeham, Ham, Knowlton, Little Mongeham, Nonington, Northbourne, Preston by Wingham, Ripple, Sandwich, Sholden, Staple, Stourmouth, Sutton, Tilmanstone, Waldershare, Walmer, Wingham, Woodnesborough, Worth. Registers now in Thanet with Dover district.

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 23 Oct 2005 16:36

Just looked at the actual image on 1861 - looks like Finnis to me rather than Finnie. Thomas is a carpenter. Does this fit? Angela

John

John Report 23 Oct 2005 16:36

Angela, How did you DO that?? Amazing! (No wonder I couldn't find the marriage if it was in 1870 - they had a child in 1863 so I was looking way too early!)Could you advise me how to get a look at these records, please? Yep, old Tom was a chippie, alright. my thanks, John

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 23 Oct 2005 16:45

Which records do you want. If you haven't got ancestry I can send you the images if you let me have your email address by PM, but probably not till tomorrow as I've got to do the dinner in a sec! Let me know Angela

John

John Report 23 Oct 2005 16:55

Angela, PM on its way with email address. Can't thank you enough, and enjoy your dinner - I'm about to do the same, if I can get away from this blasted computer! John

John

John Report 25 Oct 2005 17:47

Hi margaret, What a cracking little site, and very many thanks for putting me on to it. I shall have a snout around and see what turns up. Thank you once again, John