Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BVRI Look up please - Nottinghamshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Sep 2005 21:15

Could anyone kindly check whether there are any baptisms listed for the surname HAWKRIDGE, parents James and Ann between 1837 and 1845. Thanks Lou

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Sep 2005 23:19

From the IGI..free online Hawkridge, British Isles Father: James , Mother: Ann Exact Spelling: Off Batch Number: C045391 [ International Genealogical Index / British Isles - 4 Select records to download - (50 maximum) 1. HENRY HAWKRIDGE - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 31 DEC 1843 Beeston, Nottingham, England 2. THOMAS HAWKRIDGE - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 25 MAR 1842 Beeston, Nottingham, England 3. JAMES HAWKRIDGE - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 10 APR 1842 Beeston, Nottingham, England 4. SAMUEL HAWKRIDGE - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 31 DEC 1843 Beeston, Nottingham, England Rose

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Sep 2005 23:33

Thanks Rose Those are the ones I have but I'm not happy with them which is why I was hoping for a BVRI check to see whether it said anything different. Something didn't smell right with it so I got the birth certs for all 4 boys and their baptisms simply don't ring true......! Henry born 10th April 1838 but not baptised till 31st December 1842. James and Thomas are twins born 6th January 1842 yet they were baptised before the eldest child and baptised 2 weeks apart???? And Samuel (my 4xgrandfather) born 20th January 1841, the year before the twins, yet not baptised until 31st December 1843. Am I just being pedantic thinking that this just doesn't add up????? Lou

Deborah

Deborah Report 23 Sep 2005 00:55

Hi Lou, I have the Notts baptisms index, and came up with the same results. Maybe they are yours. My gr-gr-grandma was 17 before she was baptised, one of her sisters was 20! Maybe the twins weren't baptised together if one was not expected to live. They would have had him bpatised quickly. I also have instances of children born years apart, and then baptised, not together as they tended to do, but within weeks of each other. Can't explain it, just one them things! Debbie PLACE DATE BORN CNAME FNAME MNAME FSURN MSURN ABODE PROF BEE 29/07/1840 James James Anne HAWKRIDGE Framesmith BEE 25/03/1842 Thomas James Anne HAWKRIDGE Lacemaker BEE 10/04/1842 James James Anne HAWKRIDGE Lacemaker BEE 31/12/1843 10 04 1838 Henry James Anne HAWKRIDGE Twist hand BEE 31/12/1843 10 04 1838 Samuel James Anne HAWKRIDGE Twist hand

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Sep 2005 00:59

Hi Deborah Thanks for this. Yet another birth date for Samuel, this makes it look like he and Henry were twins! And 2 James's....that's a new one on me! I did wonder whether the twins were baptised seperately as one wasn't expected to live. Thomas did die young but lived to be just over a year old, although they may not have expected him to last that long and hurried the baptism! I'm not sure I'll ever get to the bottom of this one, it just all seems very peculiar that the children were baptised so 'out of sync' to their birth dates! Lou

Deborah

Deborah Report 23 Sep 2005 01:13

Hi Lou, I didn't realise you didn't have the first James. Presumably died before the 1841 census? The did tend to 'recycle the names, if a child died, didn't they? Glad you got something out of the info. Do you have them in 1841? Have access to Notts 1841 if you haven't. Debbie

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Sep 2005 01:16

Hi Deborah I have James and Ann in 1841 in Notts with Henry and James (although which one??????). Samuel is 6 weeks old and with his grandparents in Derby for census night. Just had a look on freebmd and there's no 2nd James listed so it looks like a job for 1837online at some point! Thanks again Lou

Deborah

Deborah Report 23 Sep 2005 01:16

Lou, Just had a quick look anyway - they've got a Henry & a Jane in 1841, all born out of county. Debbie Sorry, our messages are crossing! It Looks like JANE not JAMES in 1841, and it's in the female column. Debbie

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Sep 2005 01:28

I noticed that! And Henry is Heny! So I am assuming that it should be James which is probably a bad mistake to make. I'm not aware of a Jane anywhere in the tree, even belonging to someone else who could have been visiting! And the plot thickens further....I have a transcript of the family in 1851 by which point they're back in Derby and the children with James and Ann are Thomas, James and Samuel. 7yrs after Thomas's death!