Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

thank you

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa

Lisa Report 21 Jul 2005 09:01

i am stuck on a line and need some help, wondered if anyone there has time to lend a hand. i have this family in 1881: Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability Francis T. TURNER Head M Male 40 Nurmanton, Suffolk, England Painter Susan TURNER Wife M Female 38 Wapping, Middlesex, England Sarah TURNER Dau Female 14 Walthamstow, Essex, England Scholar Hannah GAROUBATH Mother In Law W Female 66 Leicester, Leicester, England Source Information: Dwelling East Street Census Place Walthamstow, Essex, England Family History Library Film 1341416 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 1731 / 63 Page Number 33 i am trying to find any other evidence of Susan (the wife ) or Hannah (mother in law). i was told by family memories - that Susans maiden name was Goronlock. all i have is this, from the 1881 census: Hannah GORONLOCK / GAROUBATH. she was born c1815 leicester with a daughter called Susan born 1843/1845 in Wapping, middx or Shadwell, london. In 1881 they were living in walthamstow. there are no other goronlocks or garoubaths in 1861, 1881, 1891, freebmd, familysearch or general internet search that i can see. I cant find them anywhere. susan G *** and Francis Turner had 2 daughters that i know of, Mary ann born 1865 walthamstow and Sarah born 1867 walthamstow. (i have both the daughters in 1881 but thats all.) i cant find any marriage for Francis Thomas Turner to a susan ( i thought this would give me susans name) but i cant find the marriage. i would guess they married abt 1865, but cant find anything. any ideas? does anyone have Francis & susan in 1871 - does that give any clues? HELP ---- PLEASE ----- HELP lisa

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 21 Jul 2005 09:06

Hope you don't mind, but this is a little easier to read..... i am stuck on a line and need some help, wondered if anyone there has time to lend a hand. i have this family in 1881: Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability Francis T. TURNER Head M Male 40 Nurmanton, Suffolk, England Painter Susan TURNER Wife M Female 38 Wapping, Middlesex, England Sarah TURNER Dau Female 14 Walthamstow, Essex, England Scholar Hannah GAROUBATH Mother In Law W Female 66 Leicester, Leicester, England Source Information: Dwelling East Street Census Place Walthamstow, Essex, England Family History Library Film 1341416 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 1731 / 63 Page Number 33 i am trying to find any other evidence of Susan (the wife ) or Hannah (mother in law). i was told by family memories - that Susans maiden name was Goronlock. all i have is this, from the 1881 census: Hannah GORONLOCK / GAROUBATH. she was born c1815 leicester with a daughter called Susan born 1843/1845 in Wapping, middx or Shadwell, london. In 1881 they were living in walthamstow. there are no other goronlocks or garoubaths in 1861, 1881, 1891, freebmd, familysearch or general internet search that i can see. I cant find them anywhere. susan G *** and Francis Turner had 2 daughters that i know of, Mary ann born 1865 walthamstow and Sarah born 1867 walthamstow. (i have both the daughters in 1881 but thats all.) i cant find any marriage for Francis Thomas Turner to a susan ( i thought this would give me susans name) but i cant find the marriage. i would guess they married abt 1865, but cant find anything. any ideas? does anyone have Francis & susan in 1871 - does that give any clues? HELP ---- PLEASE ----- HELP lisa

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 21 Jul 2005 09:10

Ok, have you found your Turners in any other census other than this? This is them in 1871 Francis T Furner abt 1842 Newmarket, Cambridgeshire, England Head St Mary Essex Susannah Furner abt 1845 Greenbank, London, England Wife St Mary Essex Mary Ann Furner abt 1865 Walthamstow, Essex, England Daughter St Mary Essex Sarah Jane Furner abt 1867 Walthamstow, Essex, England Daughter St Mary Essex

Lisa

Lisa Report 21 Jul 2005 09:22

thank you tracey. i did not have 1871 and i couldnt get it to line up properly. it looks ok when i type it and edit it but shows it all in a block. thanks lisa

Merry

Merry Report 21 Jul 2005 09:36

I don't know where you have looked for the marriage of Francis to Susan, but if it was in 1865 or before, then it probably won't be on FreeBMD/Ancestry. You would need to trawl 1837online (as it's not on the IGI either). Last time I advisied someone to do this, the marriage they were after was in the last Q of 1865 which was the first Q they looked in as I suggested working backwards!! But maybe you have done this already? Other suggestion would be to get the birth cert of one of the children. Sarah

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 21 Jul 2005 09:45

There's 2 possible births for Sarah... Birth Jun 1867 Turner Sarah Jane West Ham 4a 64 Birth Dec 1867 Turner Sarah Jane West Ham 4a 38

Crista

Crista Report 21 Jul 2005 09:56

Lisa, I think the surname you're after is Gowenlock. This is probably her family in 1861: Name Estimated Birth Year Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County/Island James Gowenlock abt 1847 Wapping, Middlesex, England Son Wapping Middlesex Walter Gowenlock abt 1804 Berwick-Upon-Tweed, Scotland Head Wapping Middlesex Susannah Gowenlock abt 1810 Desford, Leicestershire, England Wife Wapping Middlesex and this is Susannah Name Estimated Birth Year Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County/Island View Image Susannah Gownlach abt 1844 Wapping, Surrey, England Head Walthamstow Essex William Gownlach abt 1845 Wapping, Surrey, England Brother Walthamstow Essex Crista

Crista

Crista Report 21 Jul 2005 10:05

Here's her birth: Name: Gowenlock, Susanna Record Type: Births Quarter: September Year: 1843 District: Stepney County: Greater London London Middlesex Volume: 2 Page: 475 Crista

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 21 Jul 2005 10:16

I think Crista is right.. Deaths Jun 1889 GOWENLOCK Susannah 77 W.Ham 4a 81 Would be the 'Hannah' with them in 1881. Here's Walter in 1871 Walter Gowenlook abt 1808 Scotland Lodger Wapping London And a possible death... Deaths Mar 1881 Gowenlock Walter 73 Stepney 1c 344

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 21 Jul 2005 10:25

How about this from the IGI? WALTER GOWENLOCK Male Marriages: Spouse: SUSANNAH HERBERT Marriage: 04 DEC 1836 Saint Dunstan, Stepney, London, England ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Messages: Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the marriage date.

Lisa

Lisa Report 21 Jul 2005 10:34

thank you for all your help. best wishes lisa