Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tancock

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 11 Apr 2005 10:05

Looking for help of my ggrandmother who was called elfreda or Alfreda tancock, this was a maiden name and it is thought she was brought to exeter devon as a pregnant unmarried mother, my grandfather ( her son) was Algie thomas tancock I know plenty from then onwards but need to know where she came from any info to her would be great. sue Exeter

Paul

Paul Report 11 Apr 2005 10:26

1901 Name: Elfreda Tancock Age in 1901: 18 Estimated birth year: abt 1883 Relation: Servant Household: View other family members Gender: Female Where born: Shaldon, Devon, England Civil parish: Upton Pyne Ecclesiatical parish: Brampford Speke Town: Upton Pyne County/Island: Devon Country: England Source information: RG13/2036 Registration district: St Thomas Sub-registration district: Heavitree ED, institution, or vessel: 23 Folio: 46 Page: 11 (click to see others on page) Household schedule number: 32 Living as a servant (kitchen maid) at Cowley Place, Upton Pyne. Shown as single. The actual census shows her name IS written Elfrida

Emma

Emma Report 11 Apr 2005 10:27

Hi Sue, Found these in 1901 & 1891 - could these be her? 1901: Elfreda Tancock 18 Shaldon, Devon, England Servant Upton Pyne Devon Source information: RG13/2036 Registration district: St Thomas Sub-registration district: Heavitree ED, institution, or vessel: 23 Folio: 46 Page: 11 1891: Tancock , Alfrida 8 Shaldon, Devon Or Devonshire Daughter St Thomas Devon Tancock , Aurther 4 Shaldon, Devon Or Devonshire Son St Thomas Devon Tancock , Florence 2 Exwick, Devon Or Devonshire Daughter St Thomas Devon Tancock , Phillip 1/12 Exwick, Devon Or Devonshire Son St Thomas Devon Tancock , Sarah A 32 Broadclyst, Devon Or Devonshire Wife St Thomas Devon Tancock , Sidney 4 Shaldon, Devon Or Devonshire Son St Thomas Devon Tancock , Thomas ?? Witheridge, Devon Or Devonshire Head St Thomas Devon , gardener Source information: RG12/1682 Registration district: St Thomas Sub registration district: St Thomas ED, institution, or vessel: 3 Folio: 36 Page: 2 Do you have her marriage certificate? Does it give an age for her for you to confirm or otherwise this Elfreda? Emma x

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 11 Apr 2005 11:03

Is this her? Name: TANCOCK, Elfrida Emma Record Type: Marriages Quarter: December Year: 1907 District: Exeter County: Devon Volume: 5b Page: 162 I guess this is your grandfather... Name: Tancock, Algie Thomas Record Type: Births Quarter: December Year: 1906 District: Exeter County: Devon Volume: 5b Page: 72 Her birth... Birth Jun 1882 Tancock Alfrida Emma Newton Abbot 5b 109 Obviously couldn't decide how to spell her name lol

Susan

Susan Report 11 Apr 2005 14:43

HI,thanks for all your replies, looks as we are on to something because i,m new to this does this how can i now find out details of his or her birth certs. thankx again sue, exeter

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 11 Apr 2005 14:44

Susan... http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/births/obtainingbirthcertificates/index.asp or http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/marriages/obtainingmarriagecertificates/index.asp will tell you all you need to know :) You have to order the certs, and they have all information like parents, ages etc.