Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1901 census of st helens lancs..please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanie

Joanie Report 2 Jan 2005 14:01

Trying to find out about grandad's family: what i have is in 1919..John Rigby was 22yrs a batchelor got married 19-05-1919..cert says he was a chemical worker same as his dad also John Rigby and they lived at 5 Appleton St St Helens lancs..but spent 2 days and cannot find out anything about him of his family....help please...Joanie

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 2 Jan 2005 14:21

Hi Joanie There's this one in 1901, listed as Rigley but looks like Rigby on the image. Father was a bricklayer at the time, but I guess the son's marriage was 18 years later, so could have changed jobs by then? Alfred Rigley 2 St Helens, Lancashire, England Son St Helen Lancashire Edward Rigley 12 St Helens, Lancashire, England Son St Helen Lancashire Emily Rigley 5 St Helens, Lancashire, England Daughter St Helen Lancashire Harold Rigley 7 months St Helens, Lancashire, England Son St Helen Lancashire Harry Rigley 10 St Helens, Lancashire, England Son St Helen Lancashire Hinda Rigley 7 St Helens, Lancashire, England Daughter St Helen Lancashire John Rigley 35 St Helens, Lancashire, England Head St Helen Lancashire John Rigley 4 St Helens, Lancashire, England Son St Helen Lancashire Margaret Rigley 33 St Helens, Lancashire, England Wife St Helen Lancashire Thomas Rigley 13 St Helens, Lancashire, England Son St Helen Lancashire William Rigley 9 St Helens, Lancashire, England Son St Helen Lancashire Source information: RG13/3526 Registration district: Prescot Sub-registration district: St Helens ED, institution, or vessel: 43 Folio: 23 Page: 37 (click to see others on page) Household schedule number: 183

Joanie

Joanie Report 2 Jan 2005 14:33

Gosh Richard..so many children, can i ask advice what wud be the best way to tackle this to find out if he is the one?? any advice wud be great..thanks for what u have already done ...Joanie

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 2 Jan 2005 14:42

Problem is, Rigby is a very common name in that part of the world, it seems. I've saved the image so if you message me with your email I'll send it on - might be useful for future reference. Richard

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 2 Jan 2005 14:48

Found them in 1891... with his mother... Rigby, Edward 2 Lancashire Grandson Sutton Lancashire Rigby, Harry 8/12 Lancashire Grandson Sutton Lancashire Rigby, John 25 Lancashire Son Sutton Lancashire Rigby, Margaret 24 Lancashire Daughter-in-law Sutton Lancashire Rigby, Martha 12 Lancashire Daughter Sutton Lancashire Rigby, Sarah 42 Lancashire Head Sutton Lancashire Rigby, Thomas 4 Lancashire Grandson Sutton Lancashire Source information: RG12/3025 Registration district: Prescot Sub registration district: St Helens ED, institution, or vessel: 31 Folio: 102 Page: 15

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Jan 2005 14:51

Since you have John's marriage certificate, can you give his wife's maiden name. If we could find her on the 1901 census on Ancestry, it may be that John lives somewhere near. I have found relatives living within a few streets of each other before they married. Kath. x

Joanie

Joanie Report 2 Jan 2005 14:57

Richard ..his dad is not there, cud that mean he was away when census taken or in prison ...or something else as he is on his marriage cert in 1919..and one of the witness;s is John Rigby..wud his dead be written deciesed if he had died earlier...Joanie

Joanie

Joanie Report 2 Jan 2005 15:00

sorry sorry read it wrong this was before..i am not good at this ..sorry !

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 2 Jan 2005 15:00

Kathleen - the trouble is, there's 18 years between the 1901 census & the marriage - plenty of time for either party to have moved around in the meantime. Joanie - You might have to get the GRO to do a 3-year search for his birth cert, specifying father's name as a checking point. Hopefully there will only be one in that area/time with father John! Then, you'll have his mother's name which will confirm the above family in the census. If there's more than one with father John, then hopefully one of them was a chemical worker!

Joanie

Joanie Report 2 Jan 2005 15:02

kathleen her maiden name was also Rigby..and it says they both lived in appleton street st helens him at 5 she at 13...J

Joanie

Joanie Report 2 Jan 2005 15:10

Richard u have been a star ! thank u...Kathleen any help wud be brill..even if ur unable too thank u for trying Joanie

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Jan 2005 15:16

Hi Joanie, What was her first name and was she old enough to be around in 1901? What was her fathers name? Kath. x

Joanie

Joanie Report 2 Jan 2005 15:27

her name was Mary Ellen and she was born 1897..her dad was Joseph a coal miner..J

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Jan 2005 15:39

Sorry Joanie, can't find a Mary Ellen Rigby of about the right age with a father Joseph. Kath. x

Joanie

Joanie Report 2 Jan 2005 15:47

thanks for ur help....Joanie