Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lt Col Claude Anthony WADE, MC

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Daniel

Daniel Report 12 Nov 2007 23:46

I am seeking any news of relatives (or any general info on) Lt Col Claude Anthony Wade, son of Major Claude Wade & Marjorie Cecil Wade, sometime of Box, Wiltshire. Lt Col Wade was killed aged 30 in 1945. He was my grandfather's CO and I would dearly like to know more about him.

Best Wishes, Dan

Glenys

Glenys Report 13 Nov 2007 11:03

try CWGC

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 13 Nov 2007 11:09

He's on there just put his details into the search engine - you can also view and print of a certificate from the site

Daniel

Daniel Report 13 Nov 2007 13:11

Thanks Glenys & Colin, I appreciate your advice - he is indeed on there. That's actually how I got this far. My grandfather only referred to him as 'Tony' Wade but searching CWGC led to finding Lt Col Claude Anthony Wade, who fitted the date of death and regiment, which I knew.

Discovering from CWGC that he had an MC meant I could check the London Gazette but sadly there was only a date of the award ('43), no citation/further details.

The problem is where to go from here! To get a service record from the Army, I would need next of kin permission and only having his & his parents names makes tracking them tricky - unless I find someone on this site who is a relative or has more info...

Daniel

Daniel Report 13 Nov 2007 13:51

Looking through the 'tips section' I saw the a2a National Archives site being recommended and via this site I was able to access the full citation for his MC for a modest £3.50. It is a fantastic addition to my research.

I would still be interested in learning more from his relatives, if any ever find these messages!

Glenys

Glenys Report 13 Nov 2007 14:32

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Mar 1911 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Briers Ellen Croydon 2a 412
Leggett Marjorie C Croydon 2a 412 ****
Wade Claude Croydon 2a 412 ****
White Alfred G Croydon 2a 412

think this may be thier marriage unless you already have it

Glenys

Glenys Report 13 Nov 2007 14:39

Surname First name(s) Mother District Vol Page

Births Mar 1912 (>99%)

Wade Margaret C M Leggett Croydon 2a 635

Births Mar 1915 (99%)

Wade Claude A Leggett Croydon 2a 630

this would be Claude and his sister,you could follow up the sisters line with a marriage, try records..... there are some really helpful people on there.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 13 Nov 2007 15:19

Daniel

I have great trouble with that A2A site. My grandfather was awarded the MC during WW1 - and although there is a note about it in the London Gazette - I would like to find out more. Whereabouts in A2A should I be searching. (His name is Simmons so that doesn't help!)

Thank you

Jill

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 13 Nov 2007 15:52

There's a death notice for him in the Times, but doesn't really tell us anything new

In March 1945, died of wounds in Burma, Lt Col Claude Anthony Wade MC, Kings Own Scottish Borderers attached Nigeria Regiment, dearly loved only son of Major and Mrs Claude Wade, Ashley, Box, Wilts, aged 30.

His career could be traced via the Army List.

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 13 Nov 2007 15:59

More in the Times - marriage of his parents. You could look for births of any siblings, as someone has already suggested.

2nd Feb 1911, Norwood ,Claude Wade, Kings Own Scottish Borderers, only son of Claude FitzRoy Wade JP, Clerk of Assize of North Eastern Circuit to Marjorie Cecil Leggett, daughter of Col J O B Leggett, late H E I C S and Indian Army.

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 13 Nov 2007 16:11

Keith

WW2 records are still with the Army - they're not at Kew.

Recommendation for the MC is on the documentsonline site.

Daniel

Daniel Report 13 Nov 2007 16:30

Thank you so much everyone for the info, it is extraordinarily kind of you all & much appreciated!

I will attempt to follow up the info on his sister & parents to try and find next of kin, which might then lead to obtaining his army service record.

Thanks again!
Dan

Daniel

Daniel Report 13 Nov 2007 17:22

His citation for the MC in 1941, for those who have expressed an interest reads:

"In the action at Goluin on 24 Feb 1941, by skilful handling & determined leadership he forced the enemy to withdraw from a very strong position, inflicting a large number of casualties. In the action for Marda Pass on 21/22 March he commanded his Coy with skill & initiative. By his quiet bearing & his quick appreciation of the situation he proved himself a splendid leader; and a fine example to his men"

Thank you again to all who have posted info or advice! His sister Margaret may prove the link to a next of kin. We shall see!

Best Wishes, Dan

Daniel

Daniel Report 11 Apr 2008 16:19

I still have not been able to discover any more information on the next of kin of Lt Col Claude Anthony Wade, other than that of his parents & sister listed above. If anyone is connected with the family or can offer any more details, I would be delighted to learn more!

Best Wishes,
Dan