Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Harper Twelvetrees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tim

Tim Report 25 Feb 2008 07:48

An aunt was married to William Harper Twelvetrees and I am interested in any information that anyone has regarding this gentleman
Many thanks
Tereza

Penny

Penny Report 25 Feb 2008 07:58

where and when??

Quoy

Quoy Report 25 Feb 2008 08:53

Found these
marriage William Harper Twelvetrees to mary adelaide McKenna June Qua 1875 Hackney

Birth William Harper Twelvetrees Dec qua 1848 Luton

1851 Cencus Peckham
Harper Twelvetrees head 1824 Biggleswade bedford
Thirza '' sister 1828 ''
Richard H brother 1834 ''
Rosa 1832 sister ''
Frederick 1836 brother ''
William H 1849 ''
Mary Lane 1836 woolworth Surry servant

18818 Everton terrace Brooke rd Hackney
William H twelvetrees Accountant
Mary A
Edith 1881 born Voskresensky Ford Russia
Emma Whitby servant

Tim

Tim Report 25 Feb 2008 09:08

Many thanks for this....!!! Mary A was Mary Austin and my family lived in Everton Terrace. They went to Russia as WHT worked in the Voskresensky mines. I didn't know that there were any children. Mary died in Tasmania and WHT married again. All death records are in Tasmania. Lots of info on Wikipaedia but was interested in local stuff and also if anyone has studied WHT as he is quite well known
Tereza

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 Feb 2010 16:45

n

Melanie

Melanie Report 8 May 2011 21:14

Hello, I'm related to Harper Twelvetrees, who was William Harper Twelvetrees' father. The info given about the 1851 isn't quite right - William H (1849) was in fact Harper's (1823) son, not his brother. WHT's first wife's name was Mary Adelaide Austin, born 1854 in Hackney, Middlesex. His second wife was Sarah Albina Genders.
I have a journal written by Walter Noble Twelvetrees in 1939, WHT's brother. The following info is taken from it:
"WILLIAM HARPER was educated at Madras House, Hackney and the "Johanneum" College, Hamburg. He was for several years connected with the management of the Russian Copper Co's mines near Osenburg and later was appointed Director of the Geological Survey by the Government of Tasmania.
From 1871 to 1880, employed at copper mines in eastern Russia. Came to Tasmania in 1890 and followed various occupations until August 1899, when he was appointed Tasmanian government geologist and chief inspector of mines. A thoroughly amiable man, an excellent linguist speaking French, German and Russian fluently and a good classical scholar.
Members of the family who served in the war: Edith Twelvetrees [WHT's daughter, born June 1880] Domicile: Tasmania, Rank: Nurse, Branch of Service: Hospital Ship.
MEMORIAL WINDOWS: Presented by Edith Adams to church of St Philip with St Luke, Pennyfold St, Nottingham, on Nov 1, 1925.
(1) The Good Shepherd (in scarlet) bearing his Crook and Lamb "To the Glory of God in loving memory of William Harper Twelvetrees, who died in Tasmania Nov 11 1919, this window is dedicated by his daughter Edith Adams"
(2) Luke the beloved Physician "To the Glory of God in loving memory of George Adams, this window is dedicated by his wife Edith Adams" (chiefly blue)
(3) Beata Maria with the Babe (chiefly blue) "To the Glory of God in loving memory of Mary Adelaide Twelvetrees who died in Tasmania, this window is dedicated by her daughter, Edith Adams"

Carol

Carol Report 24 May 2024 07:26

Hi Melanie

I have only just found your post as I have not looked at Genes Reunited for decades.

I too am related to Harper Twelvetrees and have been a member of the Guild of One Name Studies for many years researching the Twelftree/Twelvetrees name. My maternal grandmother was a Twelftree born in Bythorn, Huntingdonshire and the surname for her own family was recorded in the Parish records with both spellings.

Happy to collaborate with your own research if you would find that helpful.

Carol Gill (nee MINNIS)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 May 2024 08:41

Melanie only posted once, thirteen years ago.
I fear she's very unlikely to see your post here, Carol

You can try sending her a private message. Click on her name at the top of her post.
If she hasn't changed her email address without telling GR, they will notify her of your message.

If you're lucky, she may be able and willing to reply. Keep an eye on both this thread and your "junk" email