Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Wiffen

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 5 Oct 2004 15:13

I AM INTERESTED IN FINDING OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS. MY NAME IS JULIE I HAVE A SISTER CALLED LYNN. MY FATHERS NAME IS DENNIS WIFFEN. HE MARRIED AUDREY OGDEN. I AM 32 AND MY SISTER IS 28. I KNOW SOME OF MY DADS FAMILY BUT NOT MANY. I REMEMBER HAVING UNCLES CALLED VICTOR AND GEORGE. AUNTIES CALLED NANCY AND MARION. I KNOW MY DAD HAS LOTS OF BROTHERS WHICH I DONT KNOW SO IF ANY OTHER WIFFENS RECOGNISE ANY OF THIS INFORMATION PLEASE LEAVE A MESSAGE. I WAS BORN IN COUNTY DURHAM. SOME OF MY DADS FAMILY CAME FROM CHESTER LE STREET AREA.

Sharon

Sharon Report 14 Nov 2007 17:54

i am trying to find wiffen's from cambridgeshire.(maybe in norfolk/wisbech) walter wiffen born 1903.his father was unkown but walter's mother was alice field(i think).
also trying to find walter wiffen's 1903 sister ada wiffen.

MAGGIE

MAGGIE Report 14 Aug 2020 21:16

Hello Sharon
Alice Wiffen was the wife of William Tindall Wiffen who was born in Scarborough in 1913 but killed in the Arras Offensive in WW1. Alice went to live in Holbeach after his death. He had brothers, Frank, Edwin, Thomas and John who all lived in Scarborough.
Best wishes, Maggie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Aug 2020 21:22

Very old thread to which neither the poster nor the first respondent ever returned

Neither of them is a member now, so you have no way of making contact

BTW. William Tindall Wiffen was born in 1886 and married in 1910.

He couldn’t have been born in 1913 and KIA in WW1 ;-) ;-)

FITTER
WILLIAM TINDALL WIFFEN
Service Number: 81595
Regiment & Unit/Ship
Royal Field Artillery
124th Bty. 28th Bde.
Date of Death
Died 17 April 1917
Age 31
Buried or commemorated at
BOIS-CARRE BRITISH CEMETERY, THELUS
I. F. 2.
France

beanie

beanie Report 15 Aug 2020 14:46

Hi, for further information, there is a modern day Coventry branch - I used to go to school with two of them, Ben and Sam. I have mutual friends with them, they were slightly older than me and were born in the early 80's. I may be wrong but it would seem that most Wiffens go back to Essex, the further back you go?

Maddie

Maddie Report 15 Aug 2020 15:25

William T
Last name Wiffen
Year 1914-20
Service number 81595
Rank Driver
Regiment Royal Field Artillery
Service record Soldier Number: 81595, Rank: Driver, Corps: Royal Field Artillery
Image link http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D5863741
Country Great Britain
Medal type British Army Medal Index Cards, 1914-1920
Archive reference WO372/21

William Tindall
Last name Wiffen
Birth year 1886
Age 31
Death year 1917
Death date 17 Apr 1917
Number 81595
Rank Fitter
Unit 124Th Bty. 28Th Bde.
Regiment Royal Field Artillery
Grave reference I. F. 2.
Cemetery or memorial Bois-Carre British Cemetery, Thelus
Burial country France
Additional information Son of Joseph and Eliza Wiffen; husband of Alice Wiffen, of Holbeach Hurn, Holbeach, Lincs. Native of Scarborough. -------------------
Link
https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead