Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thornton Heath address information

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elisa

Elisa Report 17 Sep 2008 19:30

On my sister in laws birth and death certs...she was b in 1944...d in 1945.... the address for the b and d is 39 Woodcroft Road Thornton Heath Surrey, which is the road behind Mayday Hospital.
The address for her parents on both certs are completely different. I realise it could be a coincidence but could the Woodcroft address have been a maternity unit attached to the hospital.There is no mention of hosp.
Other than contacting the Hospital...i have tried googeling it....does anyone know if my hunch is correct? How can i find out?Was there a street directory for the war years?Would the local library hold any info?
Thanks
I know its a long shot.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Sep 2008 19:46

Is it possible that the address belongs to another member of the family - the grandmother or aunt of the baby for instance. A lot of girls "went home to mum or an older sister" to have their babies in those days.

If you think it was a special unit of the hospital the local library or record office should have some information.

Kath. x

Elisa

Elisa Report 17 Sep 2008 19:56

Thanks...i have explored the family avenue...which it isnt....i think i will contact the Hospital.

thanks for replying