Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

If you have an interest in Walthamstow, E.17

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 21 Apr 2009 21:14

Please have a look at this site:

http://www.walthamstowmemories.net/home.html

Memories, facts and photos online.

Sue

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 22 Apr 2009 17:57

Thanks for that Sue. Its a little before my time but an interesting read for an ex inhabitant of Waltham Forest. I've passed the details to my Mum who will no doubt pass them to her cousins who lived at the bottom of the High Street.

Stuart

Stuart Report 22 Apr 2009 18:16

Hi -

Just caught sight of "Walthamstow E17" which is of great personal interest as both mother and father's families originated from that part of the world!

The strangest fact to emerge was that on father's side, despite the move to Walthamstow (from at least 1841, per the censuses) they continued to work as lightermen on the Thames. Details of the transport available I have found on "walthamstowhistory.com", There was a "short stage" (stage coach) which ran from Marsh Street (where they lived) to the Stock Exchange (near London Bridge) but I'm told only the rich could afford to travel by that means!

I might try posting a message on "walthamstowmemories.net" so thanks for the info.

Regards,

Stuart.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 22 Apr 2009 19:35

Stuart, if your ancestors lived in Marsh Street (now High Street) I would guess they got to the Thames by train from what is now Walthamstow central. The overground runs into Liverpool Street from there.

TeresainWirral

TeresainWirral Report 22 Apr 2009 19:48

have to let M-I-L know she's from around there.
Thank you.

Dianne

Dianne Report 22 Apr 2009 21:22

Thanks for that Sue. I shall have a look in a minute. My Great Uncle used to live at 102 Boundary Road, and I remember staying there overnight on the way to and from a holiday in Kent when I was a little girl. The house was the same as Pauline Fowler's in Eastenders with the stairs going up out of the living room. I was given an old 5 bob bit by him.

It's funny what you remember with a little reminder isn't it. I haven't given the place a thought in years.

Dianne xx

Mick in the Sticks

Mick in the Sticks Report 23 Apr 2009 00:20

Stuart,

If I recall correctly, most of modern day Walthamstow was not built until after about 1880/90. Most development came about after the arrival of the railway in 1870. Prior to that f Walthamstow was centered around St Mary's Church. and Marsh Street was the main shopping location.

I recall the High Street , (Marsh Street), in the early 1950's when I was a boy. That part of the High St adjacent to Hoe St had a row of very large and grand Edwardian houses and the remains of what I think may have been a bombed out store on the corner.. These were subsequently demolished to make way for a shopping arcade which I believe has in turn been demolished awaiting further redevelopment.

Michael

Stuart

Stuart Report 24 Apr 2009 20:53

Thanks for the info Mick, I only knew Walthamstow from visiting relatives - my mother and family were at Chestnut Avenue in 1940, an air -raid resulted in all the doors and windows being blown out. So in the November they packed suitcases and moved to Somerset (where I was born!)
There is a school playground where their house was and the street has been re-numbered in the reverse direction!

I have found a descendant of the Wragg family (who ran the Walthamstow/London stage coach, right up to 1870.) They posted on the walthamstow memories website so might have some ideas as to the "class" of customers who used their transport. By the way, the lightermen were on my father's side, they lived in Marsh Street (renamed High Street) then Hoe Street per 1891 census. "Occupation - Lighterman, Barge!"

Stuart.

Sue

Sue Report 24 Apr 2009 21:13

You are all mentioning places and roads that I know.

We lived in Blackhorse Lane and Prospect Hill. Went to Woodside Primary, my sister and I attended Walthamstow High School for girls and my three brothers the Sir George Monoux.

Used to go to the High Street every Saturday and I was fascinated by the live eel stall where they used to chop off their heads.

Went swimming at the old pool in the High Street before using the one at the Town Hall. Went to the wrestling matches at the Town Hall on a Saturday morning.

We were all born in Thorpe Coombe Maternity Hospital.

Saw the Beatles perform at the old cinema in Hoe Street.

Oh those were the days....lol

Sue

Dianne

Dianne Report 24 Apr 2009 22:05

Stuart

Funny you should mention Chestnut Avenue. The stepson of my great uncle, Boyo, lived at No 16 Chestnut Avenue. You have just brought that address back to mind from years ago.

Dianne xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Sep 2020 16:24

I've just found I have genealogical connections to Walthamstow, through DAVID SMITH & his wife CAROLINE BUNN; then their son JAMES DAVID SMITH & AGNES ALLAN.
The family lived in Markhouse Place and Boundary Road, but more significantly, Berwick Road, Walthamstow.
Berwick Road was home to a SMITH family for over seventy years, from 1907-1978; quite an accomplishment!
If anyone knew the family, headed by CHARLES HERBERT SMITH and his wife ADA ELEANOR, nee Gregory, I would love to hear from you. They had five sons 1907-1921: Charles Henry; Herbert Sidney George; Ernest; Stanley and Sydney.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Sep 2020 16:43

You have called up a very old thread of 11 years ago the original poster too is no longer a member

It’s very unlikely anyone connected will see your enquiry

Best ti start your own thread

In the meantime look ij members trees ,which is in the search heading above the boards to see if anyone has them listed

You can try to make contact by clicking on the find out more box and sending a message