Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Maltese genealogy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Darren

Darren Report 1 May 2009 14:04

hi ,
i'm new to this and wonder if anyone can help. the story is a little complicated but... my dad had 2 wives before my mum, i have managed to trace the 2nd wife and her 4 children with relative ease.
I am now trying to find the first wife , i think i have found her marriage entry for a subequent marriage and posibly a child of theirs but i have always been told that my dad had one poss two children with her.
I don't know whether these were born in england or malta though, i cannot seem to find any uk record detailing them.
does anyone know of a way of tracing maltese births and deaths without applying to their record office. i dont think i can apply for records as i have no definite name or birthdate for them.

If anyone has ideas, they would be very gratefully received !

my dads name was Emanuel c spiteri and he married Maria dolores ciantar in malta 15/4/1956(definite) and came to england in aprox 1957. childrens names poss miriam and derek born aprox 56/57/58 ish

many thanks !
cheryl

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 1 May 2009 17:47

Assuming you haven't already done so.....You could have a look at Cyndislist. The page that covers Malta is

http://www.cyndislist.com/westeuro.htm

Scroll down to see information available for Maltese genealogy research.

Good luck
Chris

Darren

Darren Report 2 May 2009 08:51

many thankyous for your reply,
i tried this site but cannot work out how to find any spiteris, it seems to lead me to john saids web page who only lists surnames relevant to his extensive tree.(prob just being dippy)
I think i may end up paying a genealogist as so many of maltas records are owned by churches and familys and i am not experienced enough at thi ...
many thankyous again !

Smiley

Smiley Report 2 May 2009 10:16

I have obtained a Maltese birth certificate, but as you said you do need to have specfic details.
Why not email them and see what their search fees are, your time span is not too great so it may not be expensive.

www.pdflib.com

Having said that, I have just looked out my cert and I did not know the fathers name so I just put a question mark, I still got the cert.

Have you seen the 1963 Spiteri/Ciantar birth in Brighton? But you say your father didn't come to England untill 1977, so just a coincidence maybe?

Darren

Darren Report 2 May 2009 15:16

Hi Smiley !
thanks for your tip... i think i will do that.
My "1977" was a typo and should have read 1957 ! So it is very possioble that the 63 birth is relevant
I have just applied to the GRO for the 63 certificate... if my dads name is on it, it will prove interesting ! although there may still be 1/2 earlier ones born in malta. i will wait for the cert first tho...

many thanks
Cheryl

Katherine

Katherine Report 2 Nov 2009 03:04

There is also Genforum which has a growing Maltese listings - you can ask your question there, or do a search, someone there may be of further help.

Happy hunting
Carmen

DavieOrr

DavieOrr Report 16 Aug 2015 14:33

Cheryl
are you still looking for Miriam??

greyghost

greyghost Report 16 Aug 2015 14:57

Davie welcome to the boards. Miriam posted 6 years ago and may well not be watching now for replies or even be an active member any longer.

You can click on her name when the option to send a personal message comes up through GR. If the poster still has the same email address that they registered with Gr the message will be passed through the system to them. Whether they read it or read it and don't respond is another question.