Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

advice please sorted thank you

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

michael2

michael2 Report 10 Aug 2009 17:31

can any one tell me what is free to search on ancestry due to the preasent state of affairs i am unable to subscribe to ancestry . thank you .

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 10 Aug 2009 17:42

not sure anything is free on Ancestry

but

freebmd - for free bmd indexes up to about 1930 ish
familysearch - for parish records and 1881 census
etc etc

Ancestry do a 14 day free trial, so if you had time to have a real blitz you could find out a lot in 14 days - you need to enter credit/debit card details but as long as you cancel in time you won't be charged

michael2

michael2 Report 10 Aug 2009 17:44

hi helen thank you

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 10 Aug 2009 17:53

Only stuff that is generally available free elsewhere. 1881 census is on Family Search - Free BMD has its own site.

Which area of the country are you Interested in? There are many local free sites which have huge amounts of information.

Lancashire, for example is well covered with Lancashire BMD's and the Lancashire on-line Parish Clerk program

michael2

michael2 Report 10 Aug 2009 17:55

hi brinsleys thank you for your reply the main area,s i am interested in are somerset and essex.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 10 Aug 2009 18:19

OK, not my areas of research but I'm sure someone will be able to help with local sites.

Any offers for Somerset and Essex?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 10 Aug 2009 18:25

This looks interesting - not seen the site before.

http://www.genealogylinks.net/uk/england/index.html

michael2

michael2 Report 10 Aug 2009 18:30

thanks brinsleys will take a look regards .

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 10 Aug 2009 19:23

You could try googling your counties of interest to see if they have a Family History Society website.
I was lucky with one of mine, Cambridgeshire, as volunteers from their Fam. Hist. Society transcribed a fair bit from Parish reg's and put them on their website.
This got me off to a good start.

K

michael2

michael2 Report 10 Aug 2009 20:49

hi karen sorry for not replying before thank you i will try that regards .

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Aug 2009 21:18

Try www.cyndislist.com

she has an incredible listing of sites to do with genealogy ... some free, some not.

sylvia

mgnv

mgnv Report 11 Aug 2009 13:29

You can search anything in Ancestry without a subscription. What you see in the way of results is determined by your subscription.

Lets look at an example - suppose I've purchased the b.cert of Winifred Durkin d/o James + Mary.
Births Jun 1899 (>99%)
Durkin Winifred Bradford,Y 9b 111
and I want to see them on the 1901 English census.

There's just one hit for the 1901 census:
View Record Name Parent or Spouse Names Birth Year Birthplace Relation Residence View Image
View Record Winifred Durkin James,Mary abt 1899 city, Yorkshire, England relation city, Yorkshire
[I'm using "Old search" - Show Advanced Search Options - exact matches - exact spelling
search for Win* Durkin dad=James mum=Mary]

Now if I had a sub, I think I'ld see:
View Record Winifred Durkin James,Mary abt 1899 Bradford, Yorkshire, England Daughter Bradford, Yorkshire

If I hover over the "View Record" link, I see

Preview
Name: Winifred Durkin
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1899
County/Island: Yorkshire
Household schedule number: 222 [**************************]
There's more to see
A picture of the original document
View Original Record
And things like
Relation Father's Name
Mother's Name Gender
Where born Civil parish
Ecclesiastical parish Registration district
Sub-registration district ED, institution, or vessel
Household Members

If I click on any link here, I get an imvite to subscribe, but I can just back out.
The URL on the "view image" link does contain some usable info, but we'll ignore that.

I can search again for Winifred, adding info like Residence=Yorkshire, Civil parish=Bradford, pob=Bradford, relation=daughter, and still get a hit for Winifred.
Now clear the form, and search for Durkin in Yorkshire, Civil parish=Bradford with keyword 222.

NB Omitting Bradford gets Dominic Durkin in rg13/4076 - here the URL helped - our family is in rg13/4158/?/?]

Here I can guess relationships and pobs (and marital status, although I can't check this without a sub) to get:

1901 England Census
Civil Parish: Bradford
Household schedule number: 222

James Durkin 49 Ireland Head M
Mary Durkin 38 Ireland Wife M
Catherine Durkin 11 Bradford, Yorkshire, England Daughter
Mary A Durkin 8 Bradford, Yorkshire, England Daughter
Winifred Durkin 2 Bradford, Yorkshire, England Daughter

If I had a sub, and added the address, marital status, occup and disability from the image, I'ld have:

1901 England Census
Civil Parish: Bradford
Ecclesiastical parish: St Luke
Street address: 73 Chassum St
Registration district: Bradford
Sub registration district: Bradford West
ED, institution, or vessel: 26
Household schedule number: 222

James Durkin 49 Ireland Head M Mason's Labourer
Mary Durkin 38 Ireland Wife M
Catherine Durkin 11 Bradford, Yorkshire, England Daughter S
Mary A Durkin 8 Bradford, Yorkshire, England Daughter S
Winifred Durkin 2 Bradford, Yorkshire, England Daughter S

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 4158; Folio: 107; Page: 37.

michael2

michael2 Report 11 Aug 2009 13:51

hi mgnv thank you very much for your reply i think that i will have to renew as i have so many brick wall,s that i need to find . thank,s again for taking the time on this