Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry.co.uk keeps switching to Ancestry.com - S

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 14 Oct 2009 01:53

Hi folks, hope you can help.

Have had this happen before, managed to get rid of it by some means, but can't seem to do so tonight. I have subscribed to Ancestry.co.uk for years, never to Ancestry.com. Almost everything I try to search on, I get switched to Ancestry.com and asked to subscribe. Esp bdms. The URL just changes itself.

Can anyone help?

Margaret

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Oct 2009 03:49

Hi Margaret

ancestry just seems to have a mind of its own at times

Sometimes it tries to switch me to ancestry.com.can ......... and I do not want the Canadian version

recently, it has been trying to get me to upgrade my adobe viewer

I just suffer through it!!

sylvia

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 14 Oct 2009 08:34

There is only one subscription - you can't subscribe to .com or .co.uk, you only subscribe to Ancestry.

However you have a choice in the way that you access as Ancestry has several different web addresses. Each of the different sites ultimately get you to the same information and records it is just that each one has a bias towards different countries or sets of records.

Sometimes sites redirect because you have not typed the url correctly, other times it is the site trying to be just that bit too clever. I think it also depends on whether you save your log-in details, as to exactly where you end up.

I have a few url's in My Favourites as follows, which seems to get me straight to where I do most of my research. You might want to try similar bookmarks.

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/
Home page. You can also customise this to suit your preferences

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/census/uk/default.aspx
UK Census main search page

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx
England & Wales BMD Indexes

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/
General Search Page

My default browse is Firefox and so far I have not been re-directed when using any of the above. My login and password is remembered in the browser so I log in automatically.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 14 Oct 2009 12:32

If there is only one subscription then I can't understand why I am asked to subscribe when it switches - although it does offer me a 14-day free trial.

Yes, Sylvia, it keeps asking me to upgrade my viewer, and I have tried doing so but that failed.

I use Internet Explorer.

I have http:www.ancestry.co.uk permanently in my Favourites, and that is what I am initially sent to when a choose it. I don't type it in, and have just checked to make sure it is still correct. The Home Page is set to give preference to English collections and only records from the UK and Ireland.

My username and password are remembered by the browser. I almost never log out, but last night in desperation I did so, and logged in again with the same result. Incidentally, when the switch to Ancestry.com occurs I am NOT logged in there, and tried leaving it as such as well as logging in, but it made no difference.

Hawkwind, whatever is happening it doesn't lead to the same information, e.g. when accessing a marriage, the right name of Spouse 1 might come up but it doesn't allow me access to the year, location or other possible spouses without a further subscription. The format on the screen is totally different.

As said, it has happened before and was eventually resolved, so hopefully that will happen again. Soon!

Thanks for trying, I might have to contact Ancestry.

Margaret

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 14 Oct 2009 14:59

It seems to have resolved itself.

Margaret

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Oct 2009 17:42

I do have both ancestry.co.uk and ancestry.com in my favourites, and never sign out, so clicking on either of them takes me straight to that site. I use mainly the uk site.

Occasionally, I find that I am not signed in to any of my sites ..... this might be when I clean out cookies etc! ..................... but they are still in my favourites, so I just have to sig in again. Which means remembering my passwords, sign-in names etc ....... this being the real reason why I so rarely sign out on any site!

However, every now and again, ancestry.co.uk will decide that I MUST want the Canada site, and tells me it will re-direct me in 30 secs ................ I do NOT want the Canada site!

sylvia