Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tip of the day...Be nosey

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 3 Nov 2009 08:30

A great deal of what I now know about how, where and what to look for in order to solve a particular genealogical problem I have learnt by simply being nosey.

I have found that one of the best fountains of knowledge has been other peoples posts on message boards such as the ones on Genes Reunited, Rootschat and similar sites. Take time to read as many of them as you can. Within the posts you will find a wealth of information about just about every aspect of this hobby of ours. You will find folks who are experts in the fields of military history, political history, law, social events and a host of other things. You will find links to websites that you would probably never have found by yourself. You will see different approaches to finding out information and solving problems.

If you see a website listed, take a moment to visit it by copying and pasting its address into your browsers address bar. If after viewing the site you think that it might be of some use to you in the future save it as a favourite or bookmarked site.

If you spot a tip that you think might one day come in handy, make a copy of it, give it a title that makes it easily recognisable and file it on your computer.

Over time each bit of information gained builds your personal knowledge base. No matter how much you learn there is always more to learn and how do you do that, by continuing to be nosey of course.

Jilliflower

Jilliflower Report 3 Nov 2009 08:32

good morning uncle Jonesey,
Excellent advice, but for once you've hit on my best talent - I'm nosey enough for ten! I watch and listen on this site and boy, have I learned a lot,
Thanks a lot for the advice
love
Jill

AllanC

AllanC Report 3 Nov 2009 09:05

Good advice as usual, Jonesey

For example there's a recent post about finding marriages on FreeBMD - see http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1186800

That's in my Family History folder now.

Sorcha

Sorcha Report 3 Nov 2009 15:10

Too true as always Jonesey. I have learnt so much from your pearls of wisdom. Keep up the good work.
Sorcha

LakesLass

LakesLass Report 3 Nov 2009 20:40

I agree wholeheartedly with this.
We are allowed to use the net at work during lunch breaks so I use my 30mins (only work part time you see!) to browse the tips boards and have gained all sorts of info. I bookmark the ones I think are useful and browse properly when at home, then copy and pasting useful info into word, and saving in my family history folder.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 30 Nov 2011 16:18

:-D :-D :-D

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 8 Mar 2012 13:21

I think all people who look into Family History are a bit nosey. I know I am

If I am out and pass houses with no nets I am looking in to see what the house looks like. I cannot help myself.

But I do not call myself nosey. I have an inquisitive and enquiring mind :-) :-)

Joy

Joy Report 6 Sep 2012 15:08

:-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 7 Nov 2012 11:42

Nudges :-D